Re: [mythsoc] Ellison

  • Max Rible
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
      On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 08:46, David S. Bratman wrote:
      > Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
      > halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
      > Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
      > trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
      > really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

      The only comparable book I can think of is Ian McDonald's _Desolation
      Road_, which is a novel about the colonization of Mars done in a
      magical-realism style.
      %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
      %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
      %% After enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice." %%
    • chris.
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
        Ernest> Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here
        Ernest> in Seattle, at least part of the time; maybe it jumps around
        Ernest> the West Coast. At least, I remember or think I remember it
        Ernest> met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

        Potlach is, indeed, a migratory West Coast con.
        [http://www.potlatch-sf.org/%5d Potlach 9 (2000) was in Seattle, as was
        Potlach 11 (2002). That is, according to the Potlach website they
        were. I've never been, having found out about it about a wk after
        last yr's con.

        Looks like Potlach is in San Francisco this yr.

        [ mail : wrdnrd@... ]
        [ news : sff.people.wrdnrd ]
        [ web : www.wrdnrd.com ]
      • Ernest Tomlinson