RE: [mythsoc] Ellison

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
      From: Stolzi@... [mailto:Stolzi@...]
      Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 11:49 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Ellison

      In a message dated 2/1/2003 12:00:46 AM Central Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > "Adrift
      > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
      > Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the
      > title.)
      > He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
      > location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot,
      > because
      > there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually

      > about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington,
      DC.

      Where the Islets of Langerhans probably ARE found from time to time.

      *** But not always the same Islets.... Hundredes of different ones each
      day, I should think.

      8^) Janet

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
      27:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
      uite=A33405>

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupmai
      l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=143126745>

      <http://www.mythsoc.org>

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
        At 11:59 PM 2/2/2003 , Max Rible wrote:

        >> > ...Michael Swanwick...
        >>

        >Try _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_ or _Stations of the Tide_. Should
        >be available in a used bookstore for cheap.

        Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
        halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
        Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
        trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
        really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

        - David Bratman
      • Max Rible
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
          On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 08:46, David S. Bratman wrote:
          > Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
          > halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
          > Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
          > trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
          > really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

          The only comparable book I can think of is Ian McDonald's _Desolation
          Road_, which is a novel about the colonization of Mars done in a
          magical-realism style.
          --
          %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
          %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
            Ernest:
            Ernest> Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here
            Ernest> in Seattle, at least part of the time; maybe it jumps around
            Ernest> the West Coast. At least, I remember or think I remember it
            Ernest> met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

            Potlach is, indeed, a migratory West Coast con.
            [http://www.potlatch-sf.org/%5d Potlach 9 (2000) was in Seattle, as was
            Potlach 11 (2002). That is, according to the Potlach website they
            were. I've never been, having found out about it about a wk after
            last yr's con.

            Looks like Potlach is in San Francisco this yr.

            chris.
            --
            [ mail : wrdnrd@... ]
            [ news : sff.people.wrdnrd ]