Re: [mythsoc] Ellison

  • Ernest S. Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
      On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:00:24 EST, WendellWag@... said:

      > In 1986, at another con (and, no, he didn't remember me from that talk
      > six years before), I asked him where he got the location in his story "Adrift
      > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
      > Something Else."
      <snip>
      > Many other stories say that Ellison is a pathological liar.

      This makes an odd sense to me. If Ellison is the sort of person I think
      he is, he probably loves feeding bogus information like this, then
      laughing when people distribute it without checking it. It's a pretty
      lousy excuse to be a jackass, but hey, you've got to admit that many
      people are--I'm not going to say _stupid_, but thoughtless about passing
      around cool-sounding factoids that are actually fiction (e.g. the
      long-standing canard that Ronald Reagan was once cast as Rick in
      _Casablanca_, or that Junior Bush confided to someone once that "the
      French have no word for _entrepreneur_.") Anything to get a laugh at a
      party.

      > Christopher
      > Priest and Charles Platt have both written pamphlets about this.

      As my partner Dale would say:

      "Who?"
      ("Christopher Priest and Charles Platt?")
      "Who?" (or maybe, "Any relation to Christopher Guest and Oliver Platt?")

      Ernest.
      --
      Ernest S. Tomlinson
      thiophene@...
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
        In a message dated 2/1/2003 1:29:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        thiophene@... writes:

        > If Ellison is the sort of person I think
        > he is, he probably loves feeding bogus information like this, then
        > laughing when people distribute it without checking it.

        Other people have asked if maybe Ellison's absurd stories are just his way of
        screwing with people's minds. I don't think so. Ellison telling audiences
        in his speeches that he punched out Charles Platt doesn't sound like someone
        introducing a strange story just to see if it will start to circulate. It
        sounds like someone who's so desperate for approval that they will tell
        stories to make themselves look better. Platt is a decade younger, a foot
        taller, and in much better shape than Ellison, incidentally.

        thiophene@... writes:

        > "Who?"
        > ("Christopher Priest and Charles Platt?")
        > "Who?" (or maybe, "Any relation to Christopher Guest and Oliver Platt?")

        Priest and Platt are writers who are well known in the science fiction
        community. Priest is definitely a better writer than Ellison. Neither has a
        reputation for dishonesty. They're also more professional in their attitude
        to their work than Ellison is. Ellison hasn't actually written that much
        given how long he's been in the field. He has a habit of promising books
        which never get written.

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
          In a message dated 2/1/2003 12:00:46 AM Central Standard Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          > "Adrift
          > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
          > Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the
          > title.)
          > He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
          > location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot,
          > because
          > there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually
          > about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington, DC.

          Where the Islets of Langerhans probably ARE found from time to time.

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Ernest Tomlinson
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
            On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:07 -0800, "David S. Bratman"
            <dbratman@...> said:

            > In this position,
            > I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember
            > well, and leave it at that.

            I can't go the rest of my life either appending qualifications to my
            opinions or rushing out to reread every story and rewatch every movie I
            might feel moved to comment on. If I were writing for publication of course
            I'd hew to a different standard, but this is an informal group.

            > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30
            > years in fandom trying to stay out of his way.

            Well, what's he done? If I thought that he might a take a swing at me or
            broadside my car, I'd be wary, but if the worst that he'd do is treat me to
            a ten-minute tongue-lashing, I'd probably be mortified and too embarrassed
            to go out in public for a day or two, but then I'd have one great story to
            tell for the rest of my life.

            > It's been 20 years or more since I've been au courant with current sf:
            > just looking at the most famous names on recent Hugo nominee lists, I have
            > never read a single novel by Ken McLeod...

            Heard of him, anyway.

            > ...Robert J. Sawyer...

            Who?

            > ...Vernor Vinge...

            He taught Computer Science at SDSU whence I graduated, and once paid him a
            visit and asked him to sign my copy of _A Fire Upon the Deep_, which I
            liked, but not for the same reasons that everyone else did, at least on
            r.a.sf.written. I didn't take any of that Singularity ("the Rapture for
            atheists" someone called it once) and Transcendence stuff a bit seriously,
            but apparently it's Vinge's _idee fixe_ and the reason a lot of geeks think
            him a good writer.

            > ...Greg Bear...

            I got halfway through _Moving Mars_, then stopped. It wasn't bad; I just
            didn't feel like reading more. I do that too often these days, and feel
            guilty about it every time.

            > ...Robert Charles Wilson...

            Any relation to Robert Anton Wilson?

            > ...Michael Swanwick...

            Barbara Stanwyck?

            > ...Walter Jon Williams...

            I admired his story story "Daddy's World", then tried to read _Aristoi_
            because a friend gave it me. Ugh! I have rarely built up such a resistance
            to reading a book I knew nothing about within so few pages. (By comparison,
            I stopped reading _Starship Troopers_ about ten pages in, but my opinion of
            Heinlein had already been fatally poisoned, partly by exposure to his fans.)
            I think I mentioned in another post that _Aristoi_ was one of those
            books--Delany's _Triton_ another--which started out portraying a society
            which, if I lived in it, would leave me within a week clawing at the asylum
            gates for entry.

            > ...Dan Simmons...

            _Endymion_ is his, right? Only sampled it in a store or something.

            > ...Stephen Baxter...

            Isn't he, along with Greg Egan, supposed to be the darling of readers who
            like their science fiction harder (and tougher to chew) than a frozen chunk
            of brisket? "Stylish prose, characterization, drama? Screw that, we want
            _science_!" Or scientism, rather. If I want science I'll read the Journal
            of the American Chemical Society. I admit though that I like my science
            fiction to have as little science as possible. _Cyteen_ for example is a
            wonderful example, and one of my favorite novels; Cherryh explains hardly
            anything about the technology of cloning or of "taping" the personalities of
            the clones; she explains enough to get the story going, gives us her cast of
            characters, and sets _them_ going. If Cherryh started spitting out
            half-digested technical concepts from texts and articles on biology, I
            wouldn't have lasted two chapters.

            > (Asimov's "Foundation's Edge", Gibson's "Neuromancer", and
            > Haldeman's "Forever Peace", only the last of which I liked at all, and
            > that not very much).

            :-b Asimov ran "Foundation" into the ground, no question. (And when he
            tried to sex his writing up, oy!) It's fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_,
            and it's not a great novel, but I like it still. Gibson knew how to do
            something which all of his cyberpunk imitators, however much more
            technologically literate they might have been, could not do, which was write
            memorable prose. He also (perhaps because he was _not_ technologically with
            it) did something I haven't seen in any other book; he created an artificial
            intelligence that actually seemed alien, not just like some computer geek's
            wish-fulfilment fantasy of what they want their computer to do. Mycroft
            Holmes and "Jane" from _Speaker for the Dead_ are cute; Wintermute scared
            the crap out of me.

            > And yet, I'm a fan, I socialize with fans all the time, I regularly
            > attend Potlatch which is as book-oriented an sf con as there is (much more
            so
            > than Boskone)...

            Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here in Seattle, at
            least part of the time; maybe it jumps around the West Coast. At least, I
            remember or think I remember it met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

            > That might explain it. .written is a place where people do talk about sf.

            It was depressing after a while; hundreds of posts and hardly a one of them
            about something I'd actually read. I made a few friends there--one was kind
            enough to put me up in Seattle when I first moved here, while I looked for a
            job and an apartment--but none lasting.

            > As for Lewis, while he took a kind of perverse pride
            > in not being au courant...

            A man after my own spirit, Lewis. Take the music I listen to; most of it
            was written and performed either by guys who are now old fogies in their
            fifties (classic rock) or guys who are long, long dead (classical.) I'm not
            yet thirty and I know practically nothing of the music of the last fifteen
            years. I know how to use a slide rule (and own a couple), would
            occasionally type out papers on a manual typewriter even in my last couple
            years of college, and own an "All-American Five" radio (i.e. a five-tube
            superheterodyne AM radio.)

            > his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
            > fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.

            This is true. But it's hard for me to think of ploughing determinedly
            through mediocre (but classic, so-called) novels like Larry Niven's
            _Ringworld_ or some of Asimov's Foundation stories as contributing much to
            my knowledge. "Everyone" had read them, so I felt I had to read them, too.

            > Dropping in to a large con at which you know
            > nobody and just attending the program items is not the way to do it. I
            > didn't get much out of my first large con either.

            But I _did_ know some people there, at least through e-mail, and that was
            partly what made the affair such a disappointment. I went there chiefly to
            meet Jo Walton and her fiance, and ended up conversing with them for maybe a
            couple of hours in a noisy hotel-room gathering. I knew a few others less
            well through Usenet and e-mail (and in one case found out that it was
            probably just as well he lived thousands of miles away in Toronto, because
            he was a scary customer in person.)

            No, I'm just not a convention person. My idea of a good party is maybe a
            half-dozen people at most, not hundreds.

            Ernest.
          • David S Bratman
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
              At 10:06 PM 2/2/2003 -0800, Ernest wrote:

              >On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:07 -0800, "David S. Bratman"
              ><dbratman@...> said:
              >
              > > In this position,
              > > I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember
              > > well, and leave it at that.
              >
              >I can't go the rest of my life either appending qualifications to my
              >opinions or rushing out to reread every story and rewatch every movie I
              >might feel moved to comment on. If I were writing for publication of course
              >I'd hew to a different standard, but this is an informal group.

              Did you think I was asking you to? I advised being cautious, nothing more.

              > > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30
              > > years in fandom trying to stay out of his way.
              >
              >Well, what's he done? If I thought that he might a take a swing at me or
              >broadside my car, I'd be wary, but if the worst that he'd do is treat me to
              >a ten-minute tongue-lashing, I'd probably be mortified and too embarrassed
              >to go out in public for a day or two, but then I'd have one great story to
              >tell for the rest of my life.

              Somehow I've never considered tongue-lashings to be pleasurable
              experiences, even long afterwards.

              You know more about most of those recent SF authors than I do.

              >Asimov ran "Foundation" into the ground, no question. (And when he
              >tried to sex his writing up, oy!)

              And a great shame, too. Pre-1980s Asimov is by far my favorite of all the
              SF writers of his generation (the ones who arrived in the 1937-49
              Campbellian period). Yes, I like that old Foundation trilogy, but it was
              the first book-length SF I ever read, at age 15. Some of his later books
              are much better. But even at its best, I cannot judge his fiction on the
              same scale that I'd use for Tolkien: it just wouldn't register, and neither
              would virtually any other SF, even much that I like a great deal.

              >It's fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_,
              >and it's not a great novel, but I like it still. Gibson knew how to do
              >something which all of his cyberpunk imitators, however much more
              >technologically literate they might have been, could not do, which was write
              >memorable prose.

              Is it fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_? Not anywhere that I've been,
              but perhaps I don't get out much. I thought I was a lone curmudgeon in
              complaining that this novel was all setting and no plot. When I read it, I
              thought I was missing something because not much seemed to be
              happening. Then I learned from reviews that I was right: the plot is very
              sketchy. Nor did I find the prose too memorable, and I really feel like
              some bumpkin on whom fine wine is being wasted, because I heard the author
              (whom I knew personally, at least before he was famous) read part of the
              book aloud, over a year before it was published, to a very small gathering
              at an SF con in Vancouver. Of the New Ace Specials, of which it was part,
              I far preferred Kim Stanley Robinson's _The Wild Shore_.

              >Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here in Seattle, at
              >least part of the time; maybe it jumps around the West Coast. At least, I
              >remember or think I remember it met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

              It jumps between the Bay Area and Seattle, with occasional stops in
              Portland or Eugene. Last year's was at a Best Western off Denny, near the
              Seattle Center, but previous Seattle Potlatches were (all, I think) at the
              University Plaza, the hotel on NE 45th overlooking I-5.

              >A man after my own spirit, Lewis. Take the music I listen to; most of it
              >was written and performed either by guys who are now old fogies in their
              >fifties (classic rock) or guys who are long, long dead (classical.)

              Do you like classical music? I gathered from an earlier post of yours
              mentioning it that it had been stuffed down your throat by your parents and
              you wound up disliking it. Classical music is, along with Tolkien and a
              few other revered fantasy authors, my prime artistic passion, but not all
              of my favorite composers of it are long-dead, or even dead at all, far from
              it. I'd be curious to compare favorites, but if you're willing, let's do
              that privately, since it'd be way off-topic here.

              >I'm not
              >yet thirty and I know practically nothing of the music of the last fifteen
              >years. I know how to use a slide rule (and own a couple), would
              >occasionally type out papers on a manual typewriter even in my last couple
              >years of college, and own an "All-American Five" radio (i.e. a five-tube
              >superheterodyne AM radio.)

              You beat me, then. I didn't give up on popular music entirely until I was
              about 27 (which was 1984, so it's hardly comparable), took immediately to
              pocket calculators and electric typewriters (neither of which were
              available, at least to me, when I first could have used them), and prefer
              FM radio to AM because there's more classical music on it.

              > > his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
              > > fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.
              >
              >This is true. But it's hard for me to think of ploughing determinedly
              >through mediocre (but classic, so-called) novels like Larry Niven's
              >_Ringworld_ or some of Asimov's Foundation stories as contributing much to
              >my knowledge. "Everyone" had read them, so I felt I had to read them, too.

              Still, you can't say that books of that sort are mediocre until you've read
              at least some of them. I find it very useful to have actually read a few
              Tolclones, so that when I denounce them, I'm speaking with some knowledge
              and not from sheer ignorance. I'm not going to keep on reading them,
              though, especially when the favorable reviews are from people who liked
              previous books that I hated.

              >No, I'm just not a convention person. My idea of a good party is maybe a
              >half-dozen people at most, not hundreds.

              Sure, I agree. But sometimes you need to go to a gathering of hundreds of
              people to find the worthwhile half-dozen. Carving out one's own
              personally-tailored convention from a huge gathering is an art, and a
              worthwhile one. But it's not necessary at Potlatch and Mythcon, which both
              run about 100-150 people, and finding smaller groups to talk with is
              easy. At the Tolkien and Lewis centenary conferences, we had over 300
              each, and thought they were huge.

              - David Bratman
            • Max Rible
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 22:06, Ernest Tomlinson wrote:
                > > ...Greg Bear...
                >
                > I got halfway through _Moving Mars_, then stopped. It wasn't bad; I just
                > didn't feel like reading more. I do that too often these days, and feel
                > guilty about it every time.

                Urk; I wouldn't call _Moving Mars_ his better work. Try _Eon_ for
                hard SF (and don't expect _Eternity_ to be up to the quality of
                _Eon_), _Blood Music_ for biotech that Vernor Vinge would think
                nifty, _Songs of Earth and Power_ (aka _The Infinity Concerto_ and
                _The Serpent Mage_) for fantasy.

                > > ...Michael Swanwick...
                >
                > Barbara Stanwyck?

                Try _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_ or _Stations of the Tide_. Should
                be available in a used bookstore for cheap.

                > > ...Dan Simmons...
                >
                > _Endymion_ is his, right? Only sampled it in a store or something.

                _Hyperion_ is the place to start if you want to sample that universe
                of his-- _Endymion_ and _Rise of Endymion_ aren't as good as
                _Hyperion_ and _Fall of Hyperion_. If you're browsing in a bookstore,
                pick up a copy of _Prayers to Broken Stones_ and read the short story
                "Vanni Fucci is Alive and Well and Living in Hell", particularly if
                you've recently re-read _The Screwtape Letters_.

                > _Cyteen_ for example is a
                > wonderful example, and one of my favorite novels; Cherryh explains hardly
                > anything about the technology of cloning or of "taping" the personalities of
                > the clones; she explains enough to get the story going, gives us her cast of
                > characters, and sets _them_ going.

                Cherryh does a really good job of making her aliens alien; I've
                greatly enjoyed her Chanur and Foreigner universes. And the knnn
                can out-enigma the Vorlons and the Arisians together, with their
                tentacles tied in knots.

                --
                %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
                %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                  WendellWag@... writes:

                  > "Adrift
                  > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
                  > Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the
                  > title.)
                  > He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
                  > location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot,
                  > because
                  > there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually

                  > about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington,
                  DC.

                  Where the Islets of Langerhans probably ARE found from time to time.

                  *** But not always the same Islets.... Hundredes of different ones each
                  day, I should think.

                  8^) Janet

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                  27:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
                  uite=A33405>

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupmai
                  l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=143126745>

                  <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • David S. Bratman
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                    At 11:59 PM 2/2/2003 , Max Rible wrote:

                    >> > ...Michael Swanwick...
                    >>

                    >Try _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_ or _Stations of the Tide_. Should
                    >be available in a used bookstore for cheap.

                    Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
                    halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
                    Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
                    trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
                    really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

                    - David Bratman
                  • Max Rible
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                      On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 08:46, David S. Bratman wrote:
                      > Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
                      > halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
                      > Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
                      > trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
                      > really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

                      The only comparable book I can think of is Ian McDonald's _Desolation
                      Road_, which is a novel about the colonization of Mars done in a
                      magical-realism style.
                      --
                      %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
                      %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
                      %% After enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice." %%
                    • chris.
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                        Ernest:
                        Ernest> Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here
                        Ernest> in Seattle, at least part of the time; maybe it jumps around
                        Ernest> the West Coast. At least, I remember or think I remember it
                        Ernest> met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

                        Potlach is, indeed, a migratory West Coast con.
                        [http://www.potlatch-sf.org/%5d Potlach 9 (2000) was in Seattle, as was
                        Potlach 11 (2002). That is, according to the Potlach website they
                        were. I've never been, having found out about it about a wk after
                        last yr's con.

                        Looks like Potlach is in San Francisco this yr.

                        chris.
                        --
                        [ mail : wrdnrd@... ]
                        [ news : sff.people.wrdnrd ]