Re: [mythsoc] Ellison and fandom

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2003
      OK, One Ellison story - I've actually met him several times and lived,
      but the best one...

      I was wearing my Volcan Bell Dancer Outfit - lots of silver tinkle belly
      dancing jewelry and cloth in the appropriate places. A friend we were
      giving a ride home to was in the audience listening to his talk, which
      was running late. She was in a wheel chair so they put her in front. So
      we walked as quietly as we could to get to her, but belly dancing
      jewelry is not made to be quiet. He did stop talking <g>. He made some
      Harlan remark about the costume, Harold remarked back. People applauded
      and laughed. He glared as he waited for us to extract our friend and
      head out. I wasn't so quiet heading out. Belly dancing jewelry makes
      some lovely noise <g>.

      I forget the remarks, they were both pretty forgetable 25 years later,
      but Harold Did Shut Up Harlan Ellison! It can be done.

      And I'm alive to tell the tale.

      And Lizzie, Mythies are actually a very nice bunch. I don't have nearly
      enough time for all the reading I want to do, but I enjoy listening to
      others talk about the books. It helps me focus for what little time I do
      have for reading. Do come if you can get the time and money together.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
        Lisa that is such a great story! Do you have pictures of this outfit ?

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
          Not from that con, but from another one. We won for "Best Star Trek
          Nostalgia" at the 1977 Westercon, since everyone had become Star Wars
          fans by then <g>.

          But it is only a photograph, and we haven't scanned all those into the
          computer - yet. So there is no way to share it long distance.

          Mythically yours,

          Lisa

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

          >Lisa that is such a great story! Do you have pictures of this outfit ?

        • Croft, Janet B
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
              Harlan is 5 foot two on tippy toes according to Asimov <g>.

              Having met Harlan, the five foot two is probably accurate, but he
              doesn't need tippy toes.

              My husband, being a native New Yorker, got to see several encounters. He
              says it was great fun! Isaac was always giving Harlan a run for his money.

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa