Re: [mythsoc] Ellison

    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
      In a message dated 1/31/2003 8:29:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30 years
      > in fandom trying to stay out of his way.

      Sorry about that last post. I hit a button by accident. Anyway, now that
      we're talking about Ellison, I can tell my personal Ellison stories. In
      1980, at a talk that Ellison gave, I and some friends had decided beforehand
      to come up with some things we could say to Ellison that would wind him up so
      we could get a good outburst from him. I asked him why he lied about his
      height and got him going for a while.

      In 1986, at another con (and, no, he didn't remember me from that talk six
      years before), I asked him where he got the location in his story "Adrift
      Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
      Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the title.)
      He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
      location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot, because
      there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually
      about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington, DC.
      Many other stories say that Ellison is a pathological liar. Christopher
      Priest and Charles Platt have both written pamphlets about this.

      I like a few of Ellison's stories, including "Jeffty is Five" and "I Have No
      Mouth . . ."

    • Ernest S. Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
        On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:00:24 EST, WendellWag@... said:

        > In 1986, at another con (and, no, he didn't remember me from that talk
        > six years before), I asked him where he got the location in his story "Adrift
        > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
        > Something Else."
        <snip>
        > Many other stories say that Ellison is a pathological liar.

        This makes an odd sense to me. If Ellison is the sort of person I think
        he is, he probably loves feeding bogus information like this, then
        laughing when people distribute it without checking it. It's a pretty
        lousy excuse to be a jackass, but hey, you've got to admit that many
        people are--I'm not going to say _stupid_, but thoughtless about passing
        around cool-sounding factoids that are actually fiction (e.g. the
        long-standing canard that Ronald Reagan was once cast as Rick in
        _Casablanca_, or that Junior Bush confided to someone once that "the
        French have no word for _entrepreneur_.") Anything to get a laugh at a
        party.

        > Christopher
        > Priest and Charles Platt have both written pamphlets about this.

        As my partner Dale would say:

        "Who?"
        ("Christopher Priest and Charles Platt?")
        "Who?" (or maybe, "Any relation to Christopher Guest and Oliver Platt?")

        Ernest.
        --
        Ernest S. Tomlinson
        thiophene@...
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
          In a message dated 2/1/2003 1:29:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          thiophene@... writes:

          > If Ellison is the sort of person I think
          > he is, he probably loves feeding bogus information like this, then
          > laughing when people distribute it without checking it.

          Other people have asked if maybe Ellison's absurd stories are just his way of
          screwing with people's minds. I don't think so. Ellison telling audiences
          in his speeches that he punched out Charles Platt doesn't sound like someone
          introducing a strange story just to see if it will start to circulate. It
          sounds like someone who's so desperate for approval that they will tell
          stories to make themselves look better. Platt is a decade younger, a foot
          taller, and in much better shape than Ellison, incidentally.

          thiophene@... writes:

          > "Who?"
          > ("Christopher Priest and Charles Platt?")
          > "Who?" (or maybe, "Any relation to Christopher Guest and Oliver Platt?")

          Priest and Platt are writers who are well known in the science fiction
          community. Priest is definitely a better writer than Ellison. Neither has a
          reputation for dishonesty. They're also more professional in their attitude
          to their work than Ellison is. Ellison hasn't actually written that much
          given how long he's been in the field. He has a habit of promising books
          which never get written.

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
            In a message dated 2/1/2003 12:00:46 AM Central Standard Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > "Adrift
            > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
            > Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the
            > title.)
            > He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
            > location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot,
            > because
            > there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually
            > about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington, DC.

            Where the Islets of Langerhans probably ARE found from time to time.

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • Ernest Tomlinson
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
              On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:07 -0800, "David S. Bratman"
              <dbratman@...> said:

              > In this position,
              > I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember
              > well, and leave it at that.

              I can't go the rest of my life either appending qualifications to my
              opinions or rushing out to reread every story and rewatch every movie I
              might feel moved to comment on. If I were writing for publication of course
              I'd hew to a different standard, but this is an informal group.

              > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30
              > years in fandom trying to stay out of his way.

              Well, what's he done? If I thought that he might a take a swing at me or
              broadside my car, I'd be wary, but if the worst that he'd do is treat me to
              a ten-minute tongue-lashing, I'd probably be mortified and too embarrassed
              to go out in public for a day or two, but then I'd have one great story to
              tell for the rest of my life.

              > It's been 20 years or more since I've been au courant with current sf:
              > just looking at the most famous names on recent Hugo nominee lists, I have
              > never read a single novel by Ken McLeod...

              Heard of him, anyway.

              > ...Robert J. Sawyer...

              Who?

              > ...Vernor Vinge...

              He taught Computer Science at SDSU whence I graduated, and once paid him a
              visit and asked him to sign my copy of _A Fire Upon the Deep_, which I
              liked, but not for the same reasons that everyone else did, at least on
              r.a.sf.written. I didn't take any of that Singularity ("the Rapture for
              atheists" someone called it once) and Transcendence stuff a bit seriously,
              but apparently it's Vinge's _idee fixe_ and the reason a lot of geeks think
              him a good writer.

              > ...Greg Bear...

              I got halfway through _Moving Mars_, then stopped. It wasn't bad; I just
              didn't feel like reading more. I do that too often these days, and feel
              guilty about it every time.

              > ...Robert Charles Wilson...

              Any relation to Robert Anton Wilson?

              > ...Michael Swanwick...

              Barbara Stanwyck?

              > ...Walter Jon Williams...

              I admired his story story "Daddy's World", then tried to read _Aristoi_
              because a friend gave it me. Ugh! I have rarely built up such a resistance
              to reading a book I knew nothing about within so few pages. (By comparison,
              I stopped reading _Starship Troopers_ about ten pages in, but my opinion of
              Heinlein had already been fatally poisoned, partly by exposure to his fans.)
              I think I mentioned in another post that _Aristoi_ was one of those
              books--Delany's _Triton_ another--which started out portraying a society
              which, if I lived in it, would leave me within a week clawing at the asylum
              gates for entry.

              > ...Dan Simmons...

              _Endymion_ is his, right? Only sampled it in a store or something.

              > ...Stephen Baxter...

              Isn't he, along with Greg Egan, supposed to be the darling of readers who
              like their science fiction harder (and tougher to chew) than a frozen chunk
              of brisket? "Stylish prose, characterization, drama? Screw that, we want
              _science_!" Or scientism, rather. If I want science I'll read the Journal
              of the American Chemical Society. I admit though that I like my science
              fiction to have as little science as possible. _Cyteen_ for example is a
              wonderful example, and one of my favorite novels; Cherryh explains hardly
              anything about the technology of cloning or of "taping" the personalities of
              the clones; she explains enough to get the story going, gives us her cast of
              characters, and sets _them_ going. If Cherryh started spitting out
              half-digested technical concepts from texts and articles on biology, I
              wouldn't have lasted two chapters.

              > (Asimov's "Foundation's Edge", Gibson's "Neuromancer", and
              > Haldeman's "Forever Peace", only the last of which I liked at all, and
              > that not very much).

              :-b Asimov ran "Foundation" into the ground, no question. (And when he
              tried to sex his writing up, oy!) It's fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_,
              and it's not a great novel, but I like it still. Gibson knew how to do
              something which all of his cyberpunk imitators, however much more
              technologically literate they might have been, could not do, which was write
              memorable prose. He also (perhaps because he was _not_ technologically with
              it) did something I haven't seen in any other book; he created an artificial
              intelligence that actually seemed alien, not just like some computer geek's
              wish-fulfilment fantasy of what they want their computer to do. Mycroft
              Holmes and "Jane" from _Speaker for the Dead_ are cute; Wintermute scared
              the crap out of me.

              > And yet, I'm a fan, I socialize with fans all the time, I regularly
              > attend Potlatch which is as book-oriented an sf con as there is (much more
              so
              > than Boskone)...

              Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here in Seattle, at
              least part of the time; maybe it jumps around the West Coast. At least, I
              remember or think I remember it met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

              > That might explain it. .written is a place where people do talk about sf.

              It was depressing after a while; hundreds of posts and hardly a one of them
              about something I'd actually read. I made a few friends there--one was kind
              enough to put me up in Seattle when I first moved here, while I looked for a
              job and an apartment--but none lasting.

              > As for Lewis, while he took a kind of perverse pride
              > in not being au courant...

              A man after my own spirit, Lewis. Take the music I listen to; most of it
              was written and performed either by guys who are now old fogies in their
              fifties (classic rock) or guys who are long, long dead (classical.) I'm not
              yet thirty and I know practically nothing of the music of the last fifteen
              years. I know how to use a slide rule (and own a couple), would
              occasionally type out papers on a manual typewriter even in my last couple
              years of college, and own an "All-American Five" radio (i.e. a five-tube
              superheterodyne AM radio.)

              > his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
              > fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.

              This is true. But it's hard for me to think of ploughing determinedly
              through mediocre (but classic, so-called) novels like Larry Niven's
              _Ringworld_ or some of Asimov's Foundation stories as contributing much to
              my knowledge. "Everyone" had read them, so I felt I had to read them, too.

              > Dropping in to a large con at which you know
              > nobody and just attending the program items is not the way to do it. I
              > didn't get much out of my first large con either.

              But I _did_ know some people there, at least through e-mail, and that was
              partly what made the affair such a disappointment. I went there chiefly to
              meet Jo Walton and her fiance, and ended up conversing with them for maybe a
              couple of hours in a noisy hotel-room gathering. I knew a few others less
              well through Usenet and e-mail (and in one case found out that it was
              probably just as well he lived thousands of miles away in Toronto, because
              he was a scary customer in person.)

              No, I'm just not a convention person. My idea of a good party is maybe a
              half-dozen people at most, not hundreds.

              Ernest.
            • David S Bratman
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                At 10:06 PM 2/2/2003 -0800, Ernest wrote:

                >On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:07 -0800, "David S. Bratman"
                ><dbratman@...> said:
                >
                > > In this position,
                > > I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember
                > > well, and leave it at that.
                >
                >I can't go the rest of my life either appending qualifications to my
                >opinions or rushing out to reread every story and rewatch every movie I
                >might feel moved to comment on. If I were writing for publication of course
                >I'd hew to a different standard, but this is an informal group.

                Did you think I was asking you to? I advised being cautious, nothing more.

                > > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30
                > > years in fandom trying to stay out of his way.
                >
                >Well, what's he done? If I thought that he might a take a swing at me or
                >broadside my car, I'd be wary, but if the worst that he'd do is treat me to
                >a ten-minute tongue-lashing, I'd probably be mortified and too embarrassed
                >to go out in public for a day or two, but then I'd have one great story to
                >tell for the rest of my life.

                Somehow I've never considered tongue-lashings to be pleasurable
                experiences, even long afterwards.

                You know more about most of those recent SF authors than I do.

                >Asimov ran "Foundation" into the ground, no question. (And when he
                >tried to sex his writing up, oy!)

                And a great shame, too. Pre-1980s Asimov is by far my favorite of all the
                SF writers of his generation (the ones who arrived in the 1937-49
                Campbellian period). Yes, I like that old Foundation trilogy, but it was
                the first book-length SF I ever read, at age 15. Some of his later books
                are much better. But even at its best, I cannot judge his fiction on the
                same scale that I'd use for Tolkien: it just wouldn't register, and neither
                would virtually any other SF, even much that I like a great deal.

                >It's fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_,
                >and it's not a great novel, but I like it still. Gibson knew how to do
                >something which all of his cyberpunk imitators, however much more
                >technologically literate they might have been, could not do, which was write
                >memorable prose.

                Is it fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_? Not anywhere that I've been,
                but perhaps I don't get out much. I thought I was a lone curmudgeon in
                complaining that this novel was all setting and no plot. When I read it, I
                thought I was missing something because not much seemed to be
                happening. Then I learned from reviews that I was right: the plot is very
                sketchy. Nor did I find the prose too memorable, and I really feel like
                some bumpkin on whom fine wine is being wasted, because I heard the author
                (whom I knew personally, at least before he was famous) read part of the
                book aloud, over a year before it was published, to a very small gathering
                at an SF con in Vancouver. Of the New Ace Specials, of which it was part,
                I far preferred Kim Stanley Robinson's _The Wild Shore_.

                >Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here in Seattle, at
                >least part of the time; maybe it jumps around the West Coast. At least, I
                >remember or think I remember it met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

                It jumps between the Bay Area and Seattle, with occasional stops in
                Portland or Eugene. Last year's was at a Best Western off Denny, near the
                Seattle Center, but previous Seattle Potlatches were (all, I think) at the
                University Plaza, the hotel on NE 45th overlooking I-5.

                >A man after my own spirit, Lewis. Take the music I listen to; most of it
                >was written and performed either by guys who are now old fogies in their
                >fifties (classic rock) or guys who are long, long dead (classical.)

                Do you like classical music? I gathered from an earlier post of yours
                mentioning it that it had been stuffed down your throat by your parents and
                you wound up disliking it. Classical music is, along with Tolkien and a
                few other revered fantasy authors, my prime artistic passion, but not all
                of my favorite composers of it are long-dead, or even dead at all, far from
                it. I'd be curious to compare favorites, but if you're willing, let's do
                that privately, since it'd be way off-topic here.

                >I'm not
                >yet thirty and I know practically nothing of the music of the last fifteen
                >years. I know how to use a slide rule (and own a couple), would
                >occasionally type out papers on a manual typewriter even in my last couple
                >years of college, and own an "All-American Five" radio (i.e. a five-tube
                >superheterodyne AM radio.)

                You beat me, then. I didn't give up on popular music entirely until I was
                about 27 (which was 1984, so it's hardly comparable), took immediately to
                pocket calculators and electric typewriters (neither of which were
                available, at least to me, when I first could have used them), and prefer
                FM radio to AM because there's more classical music on it.

                > > his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
                > > fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.
                >
                >This is true. But it's hard for me to think of ploughing determinedly
                >through mediocre (but classic, so-called) novels like Larry Niven's
                >_Ringworld_ or some of Asimov's Foundation stories as contributing much to
                >my knowledge. "Everyone" had read them, so I felt I had to read them, too.

                Still, you can't say that books of that sort are mediocre until you've read
                at least some of them. I find it very useful to have actually read a few
                Tolclones, so that when I denounce them, I'm speaking with some knowledge
                and not from sheer ignorance. I'm not going to keep on reading them,
                though, especially when the favorable reviews are from people who liked
                previous books that I hated.

                >No, I'm just not a convention person. My idea of a good party is maybe a
                >half-dozen people at most, not hundreds.

                Sure, I agree. But sometimes you need to go to a gathering of hundreds of
                people to find the worthwhile half-dozen. Carving out one's own
                personally-tailored convention from a huge gathering is an art, and a
                worthwhile one. But it's not necessary at Potlatch and Mythcon, which both
                run about 100-150 people, and finding smaller groups to talk with is
                easy. At the Tolkien and Lewis centenary conferences, we had over 300
                each, and thought they were huge.

                - David Bratman
              • Max Rible
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                  On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 22:06, Ernest Tomlinson wrote:
                  > > ...Greg Bear...
                  >
                  > I got halfway through _Moving Mars_, then stopped. It wasn't bad; I just
                  > didn't feel like reading more. I do that too often these days, and feel
                  > guilty about it every time.

                  Urk; I wouldn't call _Moving Mars_ his better work. Try _Eon_ for
                  hard SF (and don't expect _Eternity_ to be up to the quality of
                  _Eon_), _Blood Music_ for biotech that Vernor Vinge would think
                  nifty, _Songs of Earth and Power_ (aka _The Infinity Concerto_ and
                  _The Serpent Mage_) for fantasy.

                  > > ...Michael Swanwick...
                  >
                  > Barbara Stanwyck?

                  Try _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_ or _Stations of the Tide_. Should
                  be available in a used bookstore for cheap.

                  > > ...Dan Simmons...
                  >
                  > _Endymion_ is his, right? Only sampled it in a store or something.

                  _Hyperion_ is the place to start if you want to sample that universe
                  of his-- _Endymion_ and _Rise of Endymion_ aren't as good as
                  _Hyperion_ and _Fall of Hyperion_. If you're browsing in a bookstore,
                  pick up a copy of _Prayers to Broken Stones_ and read the short story
                  "Vanni Fucci is Alive and Well and Living in Hell", particularly if
                  you've recently re-read _The Screwtape Letters_.

                  > _Cyteen_ for example is a
                  > wonderful example, and one of my favorite novels; Cherryh explains hardly
                  > anything about the technology of cloning or of "taping" the personalities of
                  > the clones; she explains enough to get the story going, gives us her cast of
                  > characters, and sets _them_ going.

                  Cherryh does a really good job of making her aliens alien; I've
                  greatly enjoyed her Chanur and Foreigner universes. And the knnn
                  can out-enigma the Vorlons and the Arisians together, with their
                  tentacles tied in knots.

                  --
                  %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
                  %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                    WendellWag@... writes:

                    > "Adrift
                    > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
                    > Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the
                    > title.)
                    > He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
                    > location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot,
                    > because
                    > there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually

                    > about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington,
                    DC.

                    Where the Islets of Langerhans probably ARE found from time to time.

                    *** But not always the same Islets.... Hundredes of different ones each
                    day, I should think.

                    8^) Janet

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                    27:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
                    uite=A33405>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupmai
                    l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=143126745>

                    <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • David S. Bratman
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                      At 11:59 PM 2/2/2003 , Max Rible wrote:

                      >> > ...Michael Swanwick...
                      >>

                      >Try _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_ or _Stations of the Tide_. Should
                      >be available in a used bookstore for cheap.

                      Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
                      halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
                      Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
                      trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
                      really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

                      - David Bratman
                    • Max Rible
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                        On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 08:46, David S. Bratman wrote:
                        > Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
                        > halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
                        > Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
                        > trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
                        > really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

                        The only comparable book I can think of is Ian McDonald's _Desolation
                        Road_, which is a novel about the colonization of Mars done in a
                        magical-realism style.
                        --
                        %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
                        %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
                        %% After enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice." %%
                      • chris.
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                          Ernest:
                          Ernest> Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here
                          Ernest> in Seattle, at least part of the time; maybe it jumps around
                          Ernest> the West Coast. At least, I remember or think I remember it
                          Ernest> met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

                          Potlach is, indeed, a migratory West Coast con.
                          [http://www.potlatch-sf.org/%5d Potlach 9 (2000) was in Seattle, as was
                          Potlach 11 (2002). That is, according to the Potlach website they
                          were. I've never been, having found out about it about a wk after
                          last yr's con.

                          Looks like Potlach is in San Francisco this yr.

                          chris.
                          --
                          [ mail : wrdnrd@... ]
                          [ news : sff.people.wrdnrd ]