Re: [mythsoc] Ellison and fandom

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2003
      What Earnest said, only with a slightly different flavor. I'd be terrified
      to meet half of the Mythies, cos I'd feel like a stammering or at least
      incoherent fool. Forgetful and over my head, but hopefully forgiven. And
      hearing folks hold out on fun creative subjects would be cool. Thanks,
      David, for your words about socializing. I get terrified at going to big
      events alone... but smaller things, or going with an angle or some group to
      meet, makes it all the more fun. And can you imagine how much fun it would
      be to go to a used bookstore or shop and swap table together? Wow....
      I've been to a used bookstore with one other member of this list and dream
      regularly of getting to do that again. So much more fun than alone or with
      non-interested pals.

      As for Ellison... I think I saw a picture of him (is he the scarred-looking
      one? Or is that the guy that died recently? See, I told you I was
      incoherent) on a book jacket. Deliciously spooky !!

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2003
        OK, One Ellison story - I've actually met him several times and lived,
        but the best one...

        I was wearing my Volcan Bell Dancer Outfit - lots of silver tinkle belly
        dancing jewelry and cloth in the appropriate places. A friend we were
        giving a ride home to was in the audience listening to his talk, which
        was running late. She was in a wheel chair so they put her in front. So
        we walked as quietly as we could to get to her, but belly dancing
        jewelry is not made to be quiet. He did stop talking <g>. He made some
        Harlan remark about the costume, Harold remarked back. People applauded
        and laughed. He glared as he waited for us to extract our friend and
        head out. I wasn't so quiet heading out. Belly dancing jewelry makes
        some lovely noise <g>.

        I forget the remarks, they were both pretty forgetable 25 years later,
        but Harold Did Shut Up Harlan Ellison! It can be done.

        And I'm alive to tell the tale.

        And Lizzie, Mythies are actually a very nice bunch. I don't have nearly
        enough time for all the reading I want to do, but I enjoy listening to
        others talk about the books. It helps me focus for what little time I do
        have for reading. Do come if you can get the time and money together.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
          Lisa that is such a great story! Do you have pictures of this outfit ?

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
            Not from that con, but from another one. We won for "Best Star Trek
            Nostalgia" at the 1977 Westercon, since everyone had become Star Wars
            fans by then <g>.

            But it is only a photograph, and we haven't scanned all those into the
            computer - yet. So there is no way to share it long distance.

            Mythically yours,

            Lisa

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

            >Lisa that is such a great story! Do you have pictures of this outfit ?

          • Croft, Janet B
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
              What Earnest said, only with a slightly different flavor. I'd be terrified
              to meet half of the Mythies, cos I'd feel like a stammering or at least
              incoherent fool. Forgetful and over my head, but hopefully forgiven. And
              hearing folks hold out on fun creative subjects would be cool. Thanks,
              David, for your words about socializing. I get terrified at going to big
              events alone... but smaller things, or going with an angle or some group to
              meet, makes it all the more fun. And can you imagine how much fun it would
              be to go to a used bookstore or shop and swap table together? Wow....
              I've been to a used bookstore with one other member of this list and dream
              regularly of getting to do that again. So much more fun than alone or with
              non-interested pals.

              ****Don't be terrified! At a recent Mythie, I have to say this is a very
              welcoming group, and the size of the conference is far from intimidating.
              In addition to the scholarly papers, there are also panel discussions and
              talks with writers, and a dealer's room which usually includes booksellers..
              And the way we take meals, with people drifting from table to table,
              encourages getting to know people in a more casual way. So if you can get to
              a Mythcon, please come! Nashville this year, Ann Arbor in 2004, and I think
              it's Birmingham, England, in 2005.

              As for Ellison... I think I saw a picture of him (is he the scarred-looking
              one? Or is that the guy that died recently? See, I told you I was
              incoherent) on a book jacket. Deliciously spooky !!

              ******Ellison's the really short one with the big ego.... I went through a
              phase as a teenager where I read all his stuff, and thought his Dangerous
              Visions anthologies were wonderful. But I now find New Wave SF unappealing.
              I enjoy reading his invective, just because it's so over the top. And I
              always enjoyed reading Isaac Asimov's stories about their rivalry at cons.

              Janet Brennan Croft
              Dictator-for-Life, Normans Sällskap för Kaffedrickande Tolkienlärde
              jbcroft@...
              <http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/>

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
              27:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
              uite=A33405>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupmai
              l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=310526838>

              <http://www.mythsoc.org>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
                Harlan is 5 foot two on tippy toes according to Asimov <g>.

                Having met Harlan, the five foot two is probably accurate, but he
                doesn't need tippy toes.

                My husband, being a native New Yorker, got to see several encounters. He
                says it was great fun! Isaac was always giving Harlan a run for his money.

                Mythically yours,
                Lisa