Re: [mythsoc] Ellison

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
      At 04:34 PM 1/31/2003 , Ernest wrote:

      >This one will probably stay wrong, though, because the only way that
      >I'll be sure that you're right and I'm wrong is if I read the story
      >again, and I don't much want to.

      That's quite OK. I feel the same way about some things. In this position,
      I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember well,
      and leave it at that.

      >> The protagonist doesn't kill the others because he hates them.
      >
      >He speaks rather contemptuously of them, doesn't he?

      Yeah, but that's not why he kills them. He hates them for what's been done
      to them, and finds it difficult to separate in his mind from what's
      properly their fault, though he knows he should.

      >He doesn't think much of their opinions either; is he not famous for
      >saying that one has no right to an opinion, only an informed opinion?

      That sounds like him.

      >Pure bluster, of course, but I'd love to call Ellison's bluff.

      I wouldn't. The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30 years
      in fandom trying to stay out of his way. I've only communicated with him
      directly a couple of times. When a story of his got a Hugo nomination on
      my watch, I made my co-administrator - much more of an Ellison fan than I -
      call him up, though I did most of the nominee contact. (I got to call
      Robert Bloch instead. Though mortally ill, he was still a great wit.)

      >Well, I've seen some of that <wry smile>. I've only ever been to one
      >proper science fiction convention, a disastrous trip to Boskone in 2000
      >in the middle of a blizzard, and I don't think I ever want to go to
      >another. Even the one Star Trek convention I attended was more
      >interesting; the speeches were more entertaining. But the sad truth is
      >that I'm not a fan, and don't fit in with fans.
      >... It's like that with the hard core SF fans;
      >they're the guys who hold forth on just about every book of importance
      >published every year and hit a half-dozen conventions a year, and I'm the
      >guy who says lamely in response, "Well, I liked _Dune_..."

      I wonder what sort of fans you've been hanging out with. The ones I know
      do not talk about the latest fiction all the time, and many don't even read
      very much new sf. Many years ago, Arthur Hlavaty and Bernadette Bosky
      presented a fannish parody of "the Law" from H.G. Wells' "The Island of Dr.
      Moreau" at a con: among the rules was "Not to read the stuff any more: that
      is the Law; are we not fen?" Some people do keep up, but in my fandom
      nobody looks down on you for not having read things.

      It's been 20 years or more since I've been au courant with current sf: just
      looking at the most famous names on recent Hugo nominee lists, I have never
      read a single novel by Ken McLeod, Robert J. Sawyer, Vernor Vinge, Greg
      Bear, Robert Charles Wilson, Michael Swanwick, Walter Jon Williams, Dan
      Simmons, Stephen Baxter ... In a couple cases I tried, but gave up. Only
      with 3 of those 9 could I tell you anything about what their fiction is
      supposed to be like. Of the roughly 100 novels nominated for the Hugo in
      the last 20 years, I've read exactly 13, of which 10 are either fantasy or
      borderline (Connie Willis), leaving only 3 unquestionable science-fiction
      novels (Asimov's "Foundation's Edge", Gibson's "Neuromancer", and
      Haldeman's "Forever Peace", only the last of which I liked at all, and that
      not very much).

      And yet, I'm a fan, I socialize with fans all the time, I regularly attend
      Potlatch which is as book-oriented an sf con as there is (much more so than
      Boskone), and I have a good time, follow what's said, participate in
      discussion. OK, it does help that I have a good working knowledge of the
      sf published between 1940 and 1975, and there's a few authors I've sort of
      kept up on since then.

      >I quit
      >hanging out on rec.arts.sf.written because I realized that I was making
      >myself read books not because I wanted to read them, but because I wanted
      >to keep up with everyone else--and C. S. Lewis had a few things to say
      >about _that_ sort of behavior.

      That might explain it. .written is a place where people do talk about sf.
      The people I know are, or were, more likely to be seen in
      rec.arts.sf.fandom. As for Lewis, while he took a kind of perverse pride
      in not being au courant, his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
      fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.

      From what I can tell of you online, I think you have a very
      fannish-compatable personality, I think you'd get along fine with fans.
      Many of us here are fans. You just need to get to know some on a
      person-by-person basis. Dropping in to a large con at which you know
      nobody and just attending the program items is not the way to do it. I
      didn't get much out of my first large con either.

      - David Bratman
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003

        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
          dbratman@... writes:

          > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30 years
          > in fandom trying to stay out of his way.

          Sorry about that last post. I hit a button by accident. Anyway, now that
          we're talking about Ellison, I can tell my personal Ellison stories. In
          1980, at a talk that Ellison gave, I and some friends had decided beforehand
          to come up with some things we could say to Ellison that would wind him up so
          we could get a good outburst from him. I asked him why he lied about his
          height and got him going for a while.

          In 1986, at another con (and, no, he didn't remember me from that talk six
          years before), I asked him where he got the location in his story "Adrift
          Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
          Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the title.)
          He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
          location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot, because
          there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually
          about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington, DC.
          Many other stories say that Ellison is a pathological liar. Christopher
          Priest and Charles Platt have both written pamphlets about this.

          I like a few of Ellison's stories, including "Jeffty is Five" and "I Have No
          Mouth . . ."

        • Ernest S. Tomlinson
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
            On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:00:24 EST, WendellWag@... said:

            > In 1986, at another con (and, no, he didn't remember me from that talk
            > six years before), I asked him where he got the location in his story "Adrift
            > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
            > Something Else."
            <snip>
            > Many other stories say that Ellison is a pathological liar.

            This makes an odd sense to me. If Ellison is the sort of person I think
            he is, he probably loves feeding bogus information like this, then
            laughing when people distribute it without checking it. It's a pretty
            lousy excuse to be a jackass, but hey, you've got to admit that many
            people are--I'm not going to say _stupid_, but thoughtless about passing
            around cool-sounding factoids that are actually fiction (e.g. the
            long-standing canard that Ronald Reagan was once cast as Rick in
            _Casablanca_, or that Junior Bush confided to someone once that "the
            French have no word for _entrepreneur_.") Anything to get a laugh at a
            party.

            > Christopher
            > Priest and Charles Platt have both written pamphlets about this.

            As my partner Dale would say:

            "Who?"
            ("Christopher Priest and Charles Platt?")
            "Who?" (or maybe, "Any relation to Christopher Guest and Oliver Platt?")

            Ernest.
            --
            Ernest S. Tomlinson
            thiophene@...
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
              In a message dated 2/1/2003 1:29:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              thiophene@... writes:

              > If Ellison is the sort of person I think
              > he is, he probably loves feeding bogus information like this, then
              > laughing when people distribute it without checking it.

              Other people have asked if maybe Ellison's absurd stories are just his way of
              screwing with people's minds. I don't think so. Ellison telling audiences
              in his speeches that he punched out Charles Platt doesn't sound like someone
              introducing a strange story just to see if it will start to circulate. It
              sounds like someone who's so desperate for approval that they will tell
              stories to make themselves look better. Platt is a decade younger, a foot
              taller, and in much better shape than Ellison, incidentally.

              thiophene@... writes:

              > "Who?"
              > ("Christopher Priest and Charles Platt?")
              > "Who?" (or maybe, "Any relation to Christopher Guest and Oliver Platt?")

              Priest and Platt are writers who are well known in the science fiction
              community. Priest is definitely a better writer than Ellison. Neither has a
              reputation for dishonesty. They're also more professional in their attitude
              to their work than Ellison is. Ellison hasn't actually written that much
              given how long he's been in the field. He has a habit of promising books
              which never get written.

            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
                In a message dated 2/1/2003 12:00:46 AM Central Standard Time,
                WendellWag@... writes:

                > "Adrift
                > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
                > Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the
                > title.)
                > He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
                > location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot,
                > because
                > there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually
                > about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington, DC.

                Where the Islets of Langerhans probably ARE found from time to time.

                Diamond Proudbrook

              • Ernest Tomlinson
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                  On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:07 -0800, "David S. Bratman"
                  <dbratman@...> said:

                  > In this position,
                  > I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember
                  > well, and leave it at that.

                  I can't go the rest of my life either appending qualifications to my
                  opinions or rushing out to reread every story and rewatch every movie I
                  might feel moved to comment on. If I were writing for publication of course
                  I'd hew to a different standard, but this is an informal group.

                  > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30
                  > years in fandom trying to stay out of his way.

                  Well, what's he done? If I thought that he might a take a swing at me or
                  broadside my car, I'd be wary, but if the worst that he'd do is treat me to
                  a ten-minute tongue-lashing, I'd probably be mortified and too embarrassed
                  to go out in public for a day or two, but then I'd have one great story to
                  tell for the rest of my life.

                  > It's been 20 years or more since I've been au courant with current sf:
                  > just looking at the most famous names on recent Hugo nominee lists, I have
                  > never read a single novel by Ken McLeod...

                  Heard of him, anyway.

                  > ...Robert J. Sawyer...

                  Who?

                  > ...Vernor Vinge...

                  He taught Computer Science at SDSU whence I graduated, and once paid him a
                  visit and asked him to sign my copy of _A Fire Upon the Deep_, which I
                  liked, but not for the same reasons that everyone else did, at least on
                  r.a.sf.written. I didn't take any of that Singularity ("the Rapture for
                  atheists" someone called it once) and Transcendence stuff a bit seriously,
                  but apparently it's Vinge's _idee fixe_ and the reason a lot of geeks think
                  him a good writer.

                  > ...Greg Bear...

                  I got halfway through _Moving Mars_, then stopped. It wasn't bad; I just
                  didn't feel like reading more. I do that too often these days, and feel
                  guilty about it every time.

                  > ...Robert Charles Wilson...

                  Any relation to Robert Anton Wilson?

                  > ...Michael Swanwick...

                  Barbara Stanwyck?

                  > ...Walter Jon Williams...

                  I admired his story story "Daddy's World", then tried to read _Aristoi_
                  because a friend gave it me. Ugh! I have rarely built up such a resistance
                  to reading a book I knew nothing about within so few pages. (By comparison,
                  I stopped reading _Starship Troopers_ about ten pages in, but my opinion of
                  Heinlein had already been fatally poisoned, partly by exposure to his fans.)
                  I think I mentioned in another post that _Aristoi_ was one of those
                  books--Delany's _Triton_ another--which started out portraying a society
                  which, if I lived in it, would leave me within a week clawing at the asylum
                  gates for entry.

                  > ...Dan Simmons...

                  _Endymion_ is his, right? Only sampled it in a store or something.

                  > ...Stephen Baxter...

                  Isn't he, along with Greg Egan, supposed to be the darling of readers who
                  like their science fiction harder (and tougher to chew) than a frozen chunk
                  of brisket? "Stylish prose, characterization, drama? Screw that, we want
                  _science_!" Or scientism, rather. If I want science I'll read the Journal
                  of the American Chemical Society. I admit though that I like my science
                  fiction to have as little science as possible. _Cyteen_ for example is a
                  wonderful example, and one of my favorite novels; Cherryh explains hardly
                  anything about the technology of cloning or of "taping" the personalities of
                  the clones; she explains enough to get the story going, gives us her cast of
                  characters, and sets _them_ going. If Cherryh started spitting out
                  half-digested technical concepts from texts and articles on biology, I
                  wouldn't have lasted two chapters.

                  > (Asimov's "Foundation's Edge", Gibson's "Neuromancer", and
                  > Haldeman's "Forever Peace", only the last of which I liked at all, and
                  > that not very much).

                  :-b Asimov ran "Foundation" into the ground, no question. (And when he
                  tried to sex his writing up, oy!) It's fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_,
                  and it's not a great novel, but I like it still. Gibson knew how to do
                  something which all of his cyberpunk imitators, however much more
                  technologically literate they might have been, could not do, which was write
                  memorable prose. He also (perhaps because he was _not_ technologically with
                  it) did something I haven't seen in any other book; he created an artificial
                  intelligence that actually seemed alien, not just like some computer geek's
                  wish-fulfilment fantasy of what they want their computer to do. Mycroft
                  Holmes and "Jane" from _Speaker for the Dead_ are cute; Wintermute scared
                  the crap out of me.

                  > And yet, I'm a fan, I socialize with fans all the time, I regularly
                  > attend Potlatch which is as book-oriented an sf con as there is (much more
                  so
                  > than Boskone)...

                  Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here in Seattle, at
                  least part of the time; maybe it jumps around the West Coast. At least, I
                  remember or think I remember it met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

                  > That might explain it. .written is a place where people do talk about sf.

                  It was depressing after a while; hundreds of posts and hardly a one of them
                  about something I'd actually read. I made a few friends there--one was kind
                  enough to put me up in Seattle when I first moved here, while I looked for a
                  job and an apartment--but none lasting.

                  > As for Lewis, while he took a kind of perverse pride
                  > in not being au courant...

                  A man after my own spirit, Lewis. Take the music I listen to; most of it
                  was written and performed either by guys who are now old fogies in their
                  fifties (classic rock) or guys who are long, long dead (classical.) I'm not
                  yet thirty and I know practically nothing of the music of the last fifteen
                  years. I know how to use a slide rule (and own a couple), would
                  occasionally type out papers on a manual typewriter even in my last couple
                  years of college, and own an "All-American Five" radio (i.e. a five-tube
                  superheterodyne AM radio.)

                  > his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
                  > fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.

                  This is true. But it's hard for me to think of ploughing determinedly
                  through mediocre (but classic, so-called) novels like Larry Niven's
                  _Ringworld_ or some of Asimov's Foundation stories as contributing much to
                  my knowledge. "Everyone" had read them, so I felt I had to read them, too.

                  > Dropping in to a large con at which you know
                  > nobody and just attending the program items is not the way to do it. I
                  > didn't get much out of my first large con either.

                  But I _did_ know some people there, at least through e-mail, and that was
                  partly what made the affair such a disappointment. I went there chiefly to
                  meet Jo Walton and her fiance, and ended up conversing with them for maybe a
                  couple of hours in a noisy hotel-room gathering. I knew a few others less
                  well through Usenet and e-mail (and in one case found out that it was
                  probably just as well he lived thousands of miles away in Toronto, because
                  he was a scary customer in person.)

                  No, I'm just not a convention person. My idea of a good party is maybe a
                  half-dozen people at most, not hundreds.

                  Ernest.
                • David S Bratman
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                    At 10:06 PM 2/2/2003 -0800, Ernest wrote:

                    >On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:07 -0800, "David S. Bratman"
                    ><dbratman@...> said:
                    >
                    > > In this position,
                    > > I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember
                    > > well, and leave it at that.
                    >
                    >I can't go the rest of my life either appending qualifications to my
                    >opinions or rushing out to reread every story and rewatch every movie I
                    >might feel moved to comment on. If I were writing for publication of course
                    >I'd hew to a different standard, but this is an informal group.

                    Did you think I was asking you to? I advised being cautious, nothing more.

                    > > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30
                    > > years in fandom trying to stay out of his way.
                    >
                    >Well, what's he done? If I thought that he might a take a swing at me or
                    >broadside my car, I'd be wary, but if the worst that he'd do is treat me to
                    >a ten-minute tongue-lashing, I'd probably be mortified and too embarrassed
                    >to go out in public for a day or two, but then I'd have one great story to
                    >tell for the rest of my life.

                    Somehow I've never considered tongue-lashings to be pleasurable
                    experiences, even long afterwards.

                    You know more about most of those recent SF authors than I do.

                    >Asimov ran "Foundation" into the ground, no question. (And when he
                    >tried to sex his writing up, oy!)

                    And a great shame, too. Pre-1980s Asimov is by far my favorite of all the
                    SF writers of his generation (the ones who arrived in the 1937-49
                    Campbellian period). Yes, I like that old Foundation trilogy, but it was
                    the first book-length SF I ever read, at age 15. Some of his later books
                    are much better. But even at its best, I cannot judge his fiction on the
                    same scale that I'd use for Tolkien: it just wouldn't register, and neither
                    would virtually any other SF, even much that I like a great deal.

                    >It's fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_,
                    >and it's not a great novel, but I like it still. Gibson knew how to do
                    >something which all of his cyberpunk imitators, however much more
                    >technologically literate they might have been, could not do, which was write
                    >memorable prose.

                    Is it fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_? Not anywhere that I've been,
                    but perhaps I don't get out much. I thought I was a lone curmudgeon in
                    complaining that this novel was all setting and no plot. When I read it, I
                    thought I was missing something because not much seemed to be
                    happening. Then I learned from reviews that I was right: the plot is very
                    sketchy. Nor did I find the prose too memorable, and I really feel like
                    some bumpkin on whom fine wine is being wasted, because I heard the author
                    (whom I knew personally, at least before he was famous) read part of the
                    book aloud, over a year before it was published, to a very small gathering
                    at an SF con in Vancouver. Of the New Ace Specials, of which it was part,
                    I far preferred Kim Stanley Robinson's _The Wild Shore_.

                    >Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here in Seattle, at
                    >least part of the time; maybe it jumps around the West Coast. At least, I
                    >remember or think I remember it met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

                    It jumps between the Bay Area and Seattle, with occasional stops in
                    Portland or Eugene. Last year's was at a Best Western off Denny, near the
                    Seattle Center, but previous Seattle Potlatches were (all, I think) at the
                    University Plaza, the hotel on NE 45th overlooking I-5.

                    >A man after my own spirit, Lewis. Take the music I listen to; most of it
                    >was written and performed either by guys who are now old fogies in their
                    >fifties (classic rock) or guys who are long, long dead (classical.)

                    Do you like classical music? I gathered from an earlier post of yours
                    mentioning it that it had been stuffed down your throat by your parents and
                    you wound up disliking it. Classical music is, along with Tolkien and a
                    few other revered fantasy authors, my prime artistic passion, but not all
                    of my favorite composers of it are long-dead, or even dead at all, far from
                    it. I'd be curious to compare favorites, but if you're willing, let's do
                    that privately, since it'd be way off-topic here.

                    >I'm not
                    >yet thirty and I know practically nothing of the music of the last fifteen
                    >years. I know how to use a slide rule (and own a couple), would
                    >occasionally type out papers on a manual typewriter even in my last couple
                    >years of college, and own an "All-American Five" radio (i.e. a five-tube
                    >superheterodyne AM radio.)

                    You beat me, then. I didn't give up on popular music entirely until I was
                    about 27 (which was 1984, so it's hardly comparable), took immediately to
                    pocket calculators and electric typewriters (neither of which were
                    available, at least to me, when I first could have used them), and prefer
                    FM radio to AM because there's more classical music on it.

                    > > his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
                    > > fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.
                    >
                    >This is true. But it's hard for me to think of ploughing determinedly
                    >through mediocre (but classic, so-called) novels like Larry Niven's
                    >_Ringworld_ or some of Asimov's Foundation stories as contributing much to
                    >my knowledge. "Everyone" had read them, so I felt I had to read them, too.

                    Still, you can't say that books of that sort are mediocre until you've read
                    at least some of them. I find it very useful to have actually read a few
                    Tolclones, so that when I denounce them, I'm speaking with some knowledge
                    and not from sheer ignorance. I'm not going to keep on reading them,
                    though, especially when the favorable reviews are from people who liked
                    previous books that I hated.

                    >No, I'm just not a convention person. My idea of a good party is maybe a
                    >half-dozen people at most, not hundreds.

                    Sure, I agree. But sometimes you need to go to a gathering of hundreds of
                    people to find the worthwhile half-dozen. Carving out one's own
                    personally-tailored convention from a huge gathering is an art, and a
                    worthwhile one. But it's not necessary at Potlatch and Mythcon, which both
                    run about 100-150 people, and finding smaller groups to talk with is
                    easy. At the Tolkien and Lewis centenary conferences, we had over 300
                    each, and thought they were huge.

                    - David Bratman
                  • Max Rible
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                      On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 22:06, Ernest Tomlinson wrote:
                      > > ...Greg Bear...
                      >
                      > I got halfway through _Moving Mars_, then stopped. It wasn't bad; I just
                      > didn't feel like reading more. I do that too often these days, and feel
                      > guilty about it every time.

                      Urk; I wouldn't call _Moving Mars_ his better work. Try _Eon_ for
                      hard SF (and don't expect _Eternity_ to be up to the quality of
                      _Eon_), _Blood Music_ for biotech that Vernor Vinge would think
                      nifty, _Songs of Earth and Power_ (aka _The Infinity Concerto_ and
                      _The Serpent Mage_) for fantasy.

                      > > ...Michael Swanwick...
                      >
                      > Barbara Stanwyck?

                      Try _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_ or _Stations of the Tide_. Should
                      be available in a used bookstore for cheap.

                      > > ...Dan Simmons...
                      >
                      > _Endymion_ is his, right? Only sampled it in a store or something.

                      _Hyperion_ is the place to start if you want to sample that universe
                      of his-- _Endymion_ and _Rise of Endymion_ aren't as good as
                      _Hyperion_ and _Fall of Hyperion_. If you're browsing in a bookstore,
                      pick up a copy of _Prayers to Broken Stones_ and read the short story
                      "Vanni Fucci is Alive and Well and Living in Hell", particularly if
                      you've recently re-read _The Screwtape Letters_.

                      > _Cyteen_ for example is a
                      > wonderful example, and one of my favorite novels; Cherryh explains hardly
                      > anything about the technology of cloning or of "taping" the personalities of
                      > the clones; she explains enough to get the story going, gives us her cast of
                      > characters, and sets _them_ going.

                      Cherryh does a really good job of making her aliens alien; I've
                      greatly enjoyed her Chanur and Foreigner universes. And the knnn
                      can out-enigma the Vorlons and the Arisians together, with their
                      tentacles tied in knots.

                      --
                      %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
                      %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                        WendellWag@... writes:

                        > "Adrift
                        > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
                        > Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the
                        > title.)
                        > He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
                        > location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot,
                        > because
                        > there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually

                        > about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington,
                        DC.

                        Where the Islets of Langerhans probably ARE found from time to time.

                        *** But not always the same Islets.... Hundredes of different ones each
                        day, I should think.

                        8^) Janet

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                        27:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
                        uite=A33405>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupmai
                        l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=143126745>

                        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • David S. Bratman
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                          At 11:59 PM 2/2/2003 , Max Rible wrote:

                          >> > ...Michael Swanwick...
                          >>

                          >Try _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_ or _Stations of the Tide_. Should
                          >be available in a used bookstore for cheap.

                          Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
                          halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
                          Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
                          trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
                          really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

                          - David Bratman
                        • Max Rible
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                            On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 08:46, David S. Bratman wrote:
                            > Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
                            > halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
                            > Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
                            > trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
                            > really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

                            The only comparable book I can think of is Ian McDonald's _Desolation
                            Road_, which is a novel about the colonization of Mars done in a
                            magical-realism style.
                            --
                            %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
                            %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
                            %% After enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice." %%
                          • chris.
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                              Ernest:
                              Ernest> Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here
                              Ernest> in Seattle, at least part of the time; maybe it jumps around
                              Ernest> the West Coast. At least, I remember or think I remember it
                              Ernest> met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

                              Potlach is, indeed, a migratory West Coast con.
                              [http://www.potlatch-sf.org/%5d Potlach 9 (2000) was in Seattle, as was
                              Potlach 11 (2002). That is, according to the Potlach website they
                              were. I've never been, having found out about it about a wk after
                              last yr's con.

                              Looks like Potlach is in San Francisco this yr.

                              chris.
                              --
                              [ mail : wrdnrd@... ]
                              [ news : sff.people.wrdnrd ]