Mythlore

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
      Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

      > How do I check if my Mythlore (is that the big annual?) subscription is
      > current? I am so befuddled I am not sure if I got mine already. Would it
      > have been dated 2002 ?

      The current issue of Mythlore is issue 90, Volume 23, number 4,
      Fall-Winter 2002

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 22, 2004
        _Mythlore_ is now published twice a year (the 2003 issues were published Jan
        and June or July). The next issue, Vol. 92, is in process and should be out
        within a month, and it will be, perhaps, a bit thicker than in the past.
        Vol. 93 will be published anytime from late summer to December.

        Vol. 92 will include the following articles:

        _His Dark Materials_: A Look into Pullman's Interpretation of Milton's
        _Paradise Lost_, Karen D. Robinson
        A Note on Charles Williams's Phillida, Joe R. Christopher
        Lewis's _Screwtape Letters_: The Ascetic Devil and the Aesthetic God, Larry
        D. Harwood
        “The young perish and the old linger, withering”: J.R.R. Tolkien on World
        War II, Janet Brennan Croft
        _The Lord of the Rings_ as Elegy, Patrice Hannon
        A Larger World: C. S. Lewis on Christianity and Literature

        and possibly:

        So Familiar, Yet So Strange: Mythic Shadows of the Medieval
        _Gawain_-Romance in Iris Murdoch’s _Green
        Knight_, Carla Arnell

        Yours,

        Ted
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
          This is good to know -- thanks! Sounds like an interesting assortment of
          articles.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
            At 08:05 PM 3/22/2004 -0800, Ted Sherman wrote:
            >_Mythlore_ is now published twice a year (the 2003 issues were published Jan
            >and June or July). The next issue, Vol. 92, is in process and should be out
            >within a month, and it will be, perhaps, a bit thicker than in the past.
            >Vol. 93 will be published anytime from late summer to December.

            I hate to have to correct the editor of Mythlore, but what he's preparing
            should be, on past standards, _issue_ 92, not volume 92. It should be
            volume 24 no. 2, though if the twice-a-year schedule is firm, we may want
            to change to two issues per volume at some point. (Mythlore had two issues
            per volume at one time in the past.) But to actually convert the old issue
            numbers to volume numbers and drop the old volume numbering would
            dreadfully confuse serials librarians and make them very unhappy.

            Whatever its number, though, I'm looking forward to this issue.

            - David Bratman
          • Margaret Dean
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
              alexeik@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 11/3/4 5:42:24 PM, Ted Sherman wrote:
              >
              > <<PS: Mythlore went out about two weeks ago, so if you haven't received your
              > copy yet, please let us know.
              > >>

              > I got my copy yesterday.
              > Alexei

              Me too!

              --Margaret Dean
              <margdean@...>
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                Received Poor Souls Day
                [aka Election Day]
                in Metamora, Illinois.

                Mike

              • jack@greenmanreview.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 5, 2004
                  J.R.R. Tolkien placed third in the Forbes.com list of `Top-Earning Dead
                  Celebrities Of 2004', with posthumous earnings of $23m. Ahead of him are
                  Elvis Presley ($40m) and Charles Schulz ($35m); the roster of the stinking
                  rich continues with John Lennon ($21m), Dr Seuss ($18m) and that icon of
                  many an sf story, Marilyn Monroe ($8m).

                  http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/Ansible/a208.html
                • John Davis
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 20, 2011
                    Having finally gotten around to joining the Mythopoeic Society as an email-member (I've lurked on this list long enough that I thought it was about time!), I was both pleased and surprised to get a copy of Mythlore through the post. Pleased because, well, anything unexpected through my door regarding the Inklings is always good, and surprised because it is number 15, and apparently from 1977.

                    Which, aside from reminding me how nice it is to receive journals and zines by post instead of online, makes me wonder if someone can let me know how I sign up to receive more up-to-date editions?

                    Thanks,

                    John
                  • Croft, Janet B.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 20, 2011

                      We send out an older sample issue with new memberships just to get you hooked like this! (See, it works!) Current subscriptions and additional back issues can be ordered through our website, below.

                      Janet Brennan Croft

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 21, 2011
                        Drat, I've been sucked in by your cunning marketing campaign!

                        I'll go sign up.

                        Thanks,

                        John