Re: [mythsoc] Ellison

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
      I'm going to lighten this up by quoting the filksong version of Ellison's
      "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". It was written by my friend Jordin
      Kare, to the tune of "Yellow Submarine".

      I was a man, when I was born
      Many years ago, before the war.
      But now AM controls the world
      And I'm not human any more.

      We all live in a giant mad machine
      A giant mad machine, a giant mad machine.
      We all live in a giant mad machine
      A giant mad machine, a giant mad machine.

      I killed the others in the caves.
      Now I'm a great soft jelly thing.
      And since I haven't got a mouth
      I find it difficult, these days, to sing

      That we all live in a giant mad machine
      A giant mad machine, a giant mad machine.
      We all live in a giant mad machine
      A giant mad machine, a giant mad machine.

      - David Bratman
    • Ernest S. Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
        On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:35:51 -0800, "David S. Bratman"
        <dbratman@...> said:

        > Ernest, I don't think this is a case of differing interpretations. I
        > think you've seriously misread Ellison's story.

        Perhaps you're right; first impressions are often, if not usually, wrong.
        This one will probably stay wrong, though, because the only way that
        I'll be sure that you're right and I'm wrong is if I read the story
        again, and I don't much want to.

        > The protagonist doesn't kill the others because he hates them.

        He speaks rather contemptuously of them, doesn't he? Especially of the
        woman, with whom I guess he had some relationship before the catastrophe,
        and whom he now contemns because she's taken up with this other guy,
        drooling idiot though he is, because he's a dead ringer for Priapus.

        > Ellison's hatred of humanity in the mass does indeed consist of writing
        > off people he doesn't know "as stupid, deceitful, deluded, whatever," to use
        > your own terms, but not so much for their opinions as for their tastes.

        He doesn't think much of their opinions either; is he not famous for
        saying that one has no right to an opinion, only an informed opinion? (I
        guess that Ellison would appoint himself as judge of who is informed.)
        But hating someone for his tastes is stupid. I'm guilty on occasion of
        such snobbery, but my own tastes in books, music, and movies are so
        miscellaneous--I have, for example, enjoyed Andrew Lloyd Webber's _Cats_
        and one of Mercedes Lackey's books, which guilty pleasures in many's eyes
        make me unfit for sophisticated, intelligent society--that I can't in
        good conscience contemn anyone for liking Big Macs or Britney Spears.

        > (That's what he says. Don't argue with me, argue with him.)

        I don't suppose I'll ever get the chance, and I'd probably get the worst
        of it anyway, although I've always wanted to meet him, carrying a small
        dog, so I could set it in front of him, look him in the eye and say,
        "You're the science fiction writer, right?" (He once stormed that he'd
        cut off some poor guy's dog's head and nail it to his coffee table for
        calling Ellison a "science fiction writer." Pure bluster, of course, but
        I'd love to call Ellison's bluff.)

        > Ellison's manner of denouncing the masses was well illustrated in an
        > essay titled "Xenogenesis", which I found far creepier than any of his fiction.
        > It's about staggeringly crass behavior by science-fiction fans.

        Well, I've seen some of that <wry smile>. I've only ever been to one
        proper science fiction convention, a disastrous trip to Boskone in 2000
        in the middle of a blizzard, and I don't think I ever want to go to
        another. Even the one Star Trek convention I attended was more
        interesting; the speeches were more entertaining. But the sad truth is
        that I'm not a fan, and don't fit in with fans. In the same way, even
        though I enjoy chess and have been known to curl up with books on the Ruy
        Lopez or the Queen's Gambit, I quit the Seattle club after a few months,
        because despite my fascination with the game, even with (to most casual
        players) boring aspects of the game, I wanted to play for fun, and they
        all wanted to play for blood. It's like that with the hard core SF fans;
        they're the guys who hold forth on just about every book of importance
        published every year and hit a half-dozen conventions a year, and I'm the
        guy who says lamely in response, "Well, I liked _Dune_..." I quit
        hanging out on rec.arts.sf.written because I realized that I was making
        myself read books not because I wanted to read them, but because I wanted
        to keep up with everyone else--and C. S. Lewis had a few things to say
        about _that_ sort of behavior.

        Cheers,

        Ernest.
        --
        Ernest S. Tomlinson
        thiophene@...
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
          At 04:34 PM 1/31/2003 , Ernest wrote:

          >This one will probably stay wrong, though, because the only way that
          >I'll be sure that you're right and I'm wrong is if I read the story
          >again, and I don't much want to.

          That's quite OK. I feel the same way about some things. In this position,
          I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember well,
          and leave it at that.

          >> The protagonist doesn't kill the others because he hates them.
          >
          >He speaks rather contemptuously of them, doesn't he?

          Yeah, but that's not why he kills them. He hates them for what's been done
          to them, and finds it difficult to separate in his mind from what's
          properly their fault, though he knows he should.

          >He doesn't think much of their opinions either; is he not famous for
          >saying that one has no right to an opinion, only an informed opinion?

          That sounds like him.

          >Pure bluster, of course, but I'd love to call Ellison's bluff.

          I wouldn't. The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30 years
          in fandom trying to stay out of his way. I've only communicated with him
          directly a couple of times. When a story of his got a Hugo nomination on
          my watch, I made my co-administrator - much more of an Ellison fan than I -
          call him up, though I did most of the nominee contact. (I got to call
          Robert Bloch instead. Though mortally ill, he was still a great wit.)

          >Well, I've seen some of that <wry smile>. I've only ever been to one
          >proper science fiction convention, a disastrous trip to Boskone in 2000
          >in the middle of a blizzard, and I don't think I ever want to go to
          >another. Even the one Star Trek convention I attended was more
          >interesting; the speeches were more entertaining. But the sad truth is
          >that I'm not a fan, and don't fit in with fans.
          >... It's like that with the hard core SF fans;
          >they're the guys who hold forth on just about every book of importance
          >published every year and hit a half-dozen conventions a year, and I'm the
          >guy who says lamely in response, "Well, I liked _Dune_..."

          I wonder what sort of fans you've been hanging out with. The ones I know
          do not talk about the latest fiction all the time, and many don't even read
          very much new sf. Many years ago, Arthur Hlavaty and Bernadette Bosky
          presented a fannish parody of "the Law" from H.G. Wells' "The Island of Dr.
          Moreau" at a con: among the rules was "Not to read the stuff any more: that
          is the Law; are we not fen?" Some people do keep up, but in my fandom
          nobody looks down on you for not having read things.

          It's been 20 years or more since I've been au courant with current sf: just
          looking at the most famous names on recent Hugo nominee lists, I have never
          read a single novel by Ken McLeod, Robert J. Sawyer, Vernor Vinge, Greg
          Bear, Robert Charles Wilson, Michael Swanwick, Walter Jon Williams, Dan
          Simmons, Stephen Baxter ... In a couple cases I tried, but gave up. Only
          with 3 of those 9 could I tell you anything about what their fiction is
          supposed to be like. Of the roughly 100 novels nominated for the Hugo in
          the last 20 years, I've read exactly 13, of which 10 are either fantasy or
          borderline (Connie Willis), leaving only 3 unquestionable science-fiction
          novels (Asimov's "Foundation's Edge", Gibson's "Neuromancer", and
          Haldeman's "Forever Peace", only the last of which I liked at all, and that
          not very much).

          And yet, I'm a fan, I socialize with fans all the time, I regularly attend
          Potlatch which is as book-oriented an sf con as there is (much more so than
          Boskone), and I have a good time, follow what's said, participate in
          discussion. OK, it does help that I have a good working knowledge of the
          sf published between 1940 and 1975, and there's a few authors I've sort of
          kept up on since then.

          >I quit
          >hanging out on rec.arts.sf.written because I realized that I was making
          >myself read books not because I wanted to read them, but because I wanted
          >to keep up with everyone else--and C. S. Lewis had a few things to say
          >about _that_ sort of behavior.

          That might explain it. .written is a place where people do talk about sf.
          The people I know are, or were, more likely to be seen in
          rec.arts.sf.fandom. As for Lewis, while he took a kind of perverse pride
          in not being au courant, his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
          fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.

          From what I can tell of you online, I think you have a very
          fannish-compatable personality, I think you'd get along fine with fans.
          Many of us here are fans. You just need to get to know some on a
          person-by-person basis. Dropping in to a large con at which you know
          nobody and just attending the program items is not the way to do it. I
          didn't get much out of my first large con either.

          - David Bratman
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
              dbratman@... writes:

              > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30 years
              > in fandom trying to stay out of his way.

              Sorry about that last post. I hit a button by accident. Anyway, now that
              we're talking about Ellison, I can tell my personal Ellison stories. In
              1980, at a talk that Ellison gave, I and some friends had decided beforehand
              to come up with some things we could say to Ellison that would wind him up so
              we could get a good outburst from him. I asked him why he lied about his
              height and got him going for a while.

              In 1986, at another con (and, no, he didn't remember me from that talk six
              years before), I asked him where he got the location in his story "Adrift
              Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
              Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the title.)
              He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
              location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot, because
              there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually
              about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington, DC.
              Many other stories say that Ellison is a pathological liar. Christopher
              Priest and Charles Platt have both written pamphlets about this.

              I like a few of Ellison's stories, including "Jeffty is Five" and "I Have No
              Mouth . . ."

            • Ernest S. Tomlinson
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 31, 2003
                On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:00:24 EST, WendellWag@... said:

                > In 1986, at another con (and, no, he didn't remember me from that talk
                > six years before), I asked him where he got the location in his story "Adrift
                > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
                > Something Else."
                <snip>
                > Many other stories say that Ellison is a pathological liar.

                This makes an odd sense to me. If Ellison is the sort of person I think
                he is, he probably loves feeding bogus information like this, then
                laughing when people distribute it without checking it. It's a pretty
                lousy excuse to be a jackass, but hey, you've got to admit that many
                people are--I'm not going to say _stupid_, but thoughtless about passing
                around cool-sounding factoids that are actually fiction (e.g. the
                long-standing canard that Ronald Reagan was once cast as Rick in
                _Casablanca_, or that Junior Bush confided to someone once that "the
                French have no word for _entrepreneur_.") Anything to get a laugh at a
                party.

                > Christopher
                > Priest and Charles Platt have both written pamphlets about this.

                As my partner Dale would say:

                "Who?"
                ("Christopher Priest and Charles Platt?")
                "Who?" (or maybe, "Any relation to Christopher Guest and Oliver Platt?")

                Ernest.
                --
                Ernest S. Tomlinson
                thiophene@...
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
                  In a message dated 2/1/2003 1:29:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  thiophene@... writes:

                  > If Ellison is the sort of person I think
                  > he is, he probably loves feeding bogus information like this, then
                  > laughing when people distribute it without checking it.

                  Other people have asked if maybe Ellison's absurd stories are just his way of
                  screwing with people's minds. I don't think so. Ellison telling audiences
                  in his speeches that he punched out Charles Platt doesn't sound like someone
                  introducing a strange story just to see if it will start to circulate. It
                  sounds like someone who's so desperate for approval that they will tell
                  stories to make themselves look better. Platt is a decade younger, a foot
                  taller, and in much better shape than Ellison, incidentally.

                  thiophene@... writes:

                  > "Who?"
                  > ("Christopher Priest and Charles Platt?")
                  > "Who?" (or maybe, "Any relation to Christopher Guest and Oliver Platt?")

                  Priest and Platt are writers who are well known in the science fiction
                  community. Priest is definitely a better writer than Ellison. Neither has a
                  reputation for dishonesty. They're also more professional in their attitude
                  to their work than Ellison is. Ellison hasn't actually written that much
                  given how long he's been in the field. He has a habit of promising books
                  which never get written.

                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
                    In a message dated 2/1/2003 12:00:46 AM Central Standard Time,
                    WendellWag@... writes:

                    > "Adrift
                    > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
                    > Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the
                    > title.)
                    > He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
                    > location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot,
                    > because
                    > there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually
                    > about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington, DC.

                    Where the Islets of Langerhans probably ARE found from time to time.

                    Diamond Proudbrook

                  • Ernest Tomlinson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                      On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:07 -0800, "David S. Bratman"
                      <dbratman@...> said:

                      > In this position,
                      > I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember
                      > well, and leave it at that.

                      I can't go the rest of my life either appending qualifications to my
                      opinions or rushing out to reread every story and rewatch every movie I
                      might feel moved to comment on. If I were writing for publication of course
                      I'd hew to a different standard, but this is an informal group.

                      > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30
                      > years in fandom trying to stay out of his way.

                      Well, what's he done? If I thought that he might a take a swing at me or
                      broadside my car, I'd be wary, but if the worst that he'd do is treat me to
                      a ten-minute tongue-lashing, I'd probably be mortified and too embarrassed
                      to go out in public for a day or two, but then I'd have one great story to
                      tell for the rest of my life.

                      > It's been 20 years or more since I've been au courant with current sf:
                      > just looking at the most famous names on recent Hugo nominee lists, I have
                      > never read a single novel by Ken McLeod...

                      Heard of him, anyway.

                      > ...Robert J. Sawyer...

                      Who?

                      > ...Vernor Vinge...

                      He taught Computer Science at SDSU whence I graduated, and once paid him a
                      visit and asked him to sign my copy of _A Fire Upon the Deep_, which I
                      liked, but not for the same reasons that everyone else did, at least on
                      r.a.sf.written. I didn't take any of that Singularity ("the Rapture for
                      atheists" someone called it once) and Transcendence stuff a bit seriously,
                      but apparently it's Vinge's _idee fixe_ and the reason a lot of geeks think
                      him a good writer.

                      > ...Greg Bear...

                      I got halfway through _Moving Mars_, then stopped. It wasn't bad; I just
                      didn't feel like reading more. I do that too often these days, and feel
                      guilty about it every time.

                      > ...Robert Charles Wilson...

                      Any relation to Robert Anton Wilson?

                      > ...Michael Swanwick...

                      Barbara Stanwyck?

                      > ...Walter Jon Williams...

                      I admired his story story "Daddy's World", then tried to read _Aristoi_
                      because a friend gave it me. Ugh! I have rarely built up such a resistance
                      to reading a book I knew nothing about within so few pages. (By comparison,
                      I stopped reading _Starship Troopers_ about ten pages in, but my opinion of
                      Heinlein had already been fatally poisoned, partly by exposure to his fans.)
                      I think I mentioned in another post that _Aristoi_ was one of those
                      books--Delany's _Triton_ another--which started out portraying a society
                      which, if I lived in it, would leave me within a week clawing at the asylum
                      gates for entry.

                      > ...Dan Simmons...

                      _Endymion_ is his, right? Only sampled it in a store or something.

                      > ...Stephen Baxter...

                      Isn't he, along with Greg Egan, supposed to be the darling of readers who
                      like their science fiction harder (and tougher to chew) than a frozen chunk
                      of brisket? "Stylish prose, characterization, drama? Screw that, we want
                      _science_!" Or scientism, rather. If I want science I'll read the Journal
                      of the American Chemical Society. I admit though that I like my science
                      fiction to have as little science as possible. _Cyteen_ for example is a
                      wonderful example, and one of my favorite novels; Cherryh explains hardly
                      anything about the technology of cloning or of "taping" the personalities of
                      the clones; she explains enough to get the story going, gives us her cast of
                      characters, and sets _them_ going. If Cherryh started spitting out
                      half-digested technical concepts from texts and articles on biology, I
                      wouldn't have lasted two chapters.

                      > (Asimov's "Foundation's Edge", Gibson's "Neuromancer", and
                      > Haldeman's "Forever Peace", only the last of which I liked at all, and
                      > that not very much).

                      :-b Asimov ran "Foundation" into the ground, no question. (And when he
                      tried to sex his writing up, oy!) It's fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_,
                      and it's not a great novel, but I like it still. Gibson knew how to do
                      something which all of his cyberpunk imitators, however much more
                      technologically literate they might have been, could not do, which was write
                      memorable prose. He also (perhaps because he was _not_ technologically with
                      it) did something I haven't seen in any other book; he created an artificial
                      intelligence that actually seemed alien, not just like some computer geek's
                      wish-fulfilment fantasy of what they want their computer to do. Mycroft
                      Holmes and "Jane" from _Speaker for the Dead_ are cute; Wintermute scared
                      the crap out of me.

                      > And yet, I'm a fan, I socialize with fans all the time, I regularly
                      > attend Potlatch which is as book-oriented an sf con as there is (much more
                      so
                      > than Boskone)...

                      Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here in Seattle, at
                      least part of the time; maybe it jumps around the West Coast. At least, I
                      remember or think I remember it met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

                      > That might explain it. .written is a place where people do talk about sf.

                      It was depressing after a while; hundreds of posts and hardly a one of them
                      about something I'd actually read. I made a few friends there--one was kind
                      enough to put me up in Seattle when I first moved here, while I looked for a
                      job and an apartment--but none lasting.

                      > As for Lewis, while he took a kind of perverse pride
                      > in not being au courant...

                      A man after my own spirit, Lewis. Take the music I listen to; most of it
                      was written and performed either by guys who are now old fogies in their
                      fifties (classic rock) or guys who are long, long dead (classical.) I'm not
                      yet thirty and I know practically nothing of the music of the last fifteen
                      years. I know how to use a slide rule (and own a couple), would
                      occasionally type out papers on a manual typewriter even in my last couple
                      years of college, and own an "All-American Five" radio (i.e. a five-tube
                      superheterodyne AM radio.)

                      > his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
                      > fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.

                      This is true. But it's hard for me to think of ploughing determinedly
                      through mediocre (but classic, so-called) novels like Larry Niven's
                      _Ringworld_ or some of Asimov's Foundation stories as contributing much to
                      my knowledge. "Everyone" had read them, so I felt I had to read them, too.

                      > Dropping in to a large con at which you know
                      > nobody and just attending the program items is not the way to do it. I
                      > didn't get much out of my first large con either.

                      But I _did_ know some people there, at least through e-mail, and that was
                      partly what made the affair such a disappointment. I went there chiefly to
                      meet Jo Walton and her fiance, and ended up conversing with them for maybe a
                      couple of hours in a noisy hotel-room gathering. I knew a few others less
                      well through Usenet and e-mail (and in one case found out that it was
                      probably just as well he lived thousands of miles away in Toronto, because
                      he was a scary customer in person.)

                      No, I'm just not a convention person. My idea of a good party is maybe a
                      half-dozen people at most, not hundreds.

                      Ernest.
                    • David S Bratman
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                        At 10:06 PM 2/2/2003 -0800, Ernest wrote:

                        >On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:07 -0800, "David S. Bratman"
                        ><dbratman@...> said:
                        >
                        > > In this position,
                        > > I'd be cautious about what I said about a story I might not remember
                        > > well, and leave it at that.
                        >
                        >I can't go the rest of my life either appending qualifications to my
                        >opinions or rushing out to reread every story and rewatch every movie I
                        >might feel moved to comment on. If I were writing for publication of course
                        >I'd hew to a different standard, but this is an informal group.

                        Did you think I was asking you to? I advised being cautious, nothing more.

                        > > The guy terrifies me, frankly, and I've spent nearly 30
                        > > years in fandom trying to stay out of his way.
                        >
                        >Well, what's he done? If I thought that he might a take a swing at me or
                        >broadside my car, I'd be wary, but if the worst that he'd do is treat me to
                        >a ten-minute tongue-lashing, I'd probably be mortified and too embarrassed
                        >to go out in public for a day or two, but then I'd have one great story to
                        >tell for the rest of my life.

                        Somehow I've never considered tongue-lashings to be pleasurable
                        experiences, even long afterwards.

                        You know more about most of those recent SF authors than I do.

                        >Asimov ran "Foundation" into the ground, no question. (And when he
                        >tried to sex his writing up, oy!)

                        And a great shame, too. Pre-1980s Asimov is by far my favorite of all the
                        SF writers of his generation (the ones who arrived in the 1937-49
                        Campbellian period). Yes, I like that old Foundation trilogy, but it was
                        the first book-length SF I ever read, at age 15. Some of his later books
                        are much better. But even at its best, I cannot judge his fiction on the
                        same scale that I'd use for Tolkien: it just wouldn't register, and neither
                        would virtually any other SF, even much that I like a great deal.

                        >It's fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_,
                        >and it's not a great novel, but I like it still. Gibson knew how to do
                        >something which all of his cyberpunk imitators, however much more
                        >technologically literate they might have been, could not do, which was write
                        >memorable prose.

                        Is it fashionable to deride _Neuromancer_? Not anywhere that I've been,
                        but perhaps I don't get out much. I thought I was a lone curmudgeon in
                        complaining that this novel was all setting and no plot. When I read it, I
                        thought I was missing something because not much seemed to be
                        happening. Then I learned from reviews that I was right: the plot is very
                        sketchy. Nor did I find the prose too memorable, and I really feel like
                        some bumpkin on whom fine wine is being wasted, because I heard the author
                        (whom I knew personally, at least before he was famous) read part of the
                        book aloud, over a year before it was published, to a very small gathering
                        at an SF con in Vancouver. Of the New Ace Specials, of which it was part,
                        I far preferred Kim Stanley Robinson's _The Wild Shore_.

                        >Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here in Seattle, at
                        >least part of the time; maybe it jumps around the West Coast. At least, I
                        >remember or think I remember it met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

                        It jumps between the Bay Area and Seattle, with occasional stops in
                        Portland or Eugene. Last year's was at a Best Western off Denny, near the
                        Seattle Center, but previous Seattle Potlatches were (all, I think) at the
                        University Plaza, the hotel on NE 45th overlooking I-5.

                        >A man after my own spirit, Lewis. Take the music I listen to; most of it
                        >was written and performed either by guys who are now old fogies in their
                        >fifties (classic rock) or guys who are long, long dead (classical.)

                        Do you like classical music? I gathered from an earlier post of yours
                        mentioning it that it had been stuffed down your throat by your parents and
                        you wound up disliking it. Classical music is, along with Tolkien and a
                        few other revered fantasy authors, my prime artistic passion, but not all
                        of my favorite composers of it are long-dead, or even dead at all, far from
                        it. I'd be curious to compare favorites, but if you're willing, let's do
                        that privately, since it'd be way off-topic here.

                        >I'm not
                        >yet thirty and I know practically nothing of the music of the last fifteen
                        >years. I know how to use a slide rule (and own a couple), would
                        >occasionally type out papers on a manual typewriter even in my last couple
                        >years of college, and own an "All-American Five" radio (i.e. a five-tube
                        >superheterodyne AM radio.)

                        You beat me, then. I didn't give up on popular music entirely until I was
                        about 27 (which was 1984, so it's hardly comparable), took immediately to
                        pocket calculators and electric typewriters (neither of which were
                        available, at least to me, when I first could have used them), and prefer
                        FM radio to AM because there's more classical music on it.

                        > > his scorn was directed at those who kept up to be
                        > > fashionable, not at those who kept up to be knowledgable.
                        >
                        >This is true. But it's hard for me to think of ploughing determinedly
                        >through mediocre (but classic, so-called) novels like Larry Niven's
                        >_Ringworld_ or some of Asimov's Foundation stories as contributing much to
                        >my knowledge. "Everyone" had read them, so I felt I had to read them, too.

                        Still, you can't say that books of that sort are mediocre until you've read
                        at least some of them. I find it very useful to have actually read a few
                        Tolclones, so that when I denounce them, I'm speaking with some knowledge
                        and not from sheer ignorance. I'm not going to keep on reading them,
                        though, especially when the favorable reviews are from people who liked
                        previous books that I hated.

                        >No, I'm just not a convention person. My idea of a good party is maybe a
                        >half-dozen people at most, not hundreds.

                        Sure, I agree. But sometimes you need to go to a gathering of hundreds of
                        people to find the worthwhile half-dozen. Carving out one's own
                        personally-tailored convention from a huge gathering is an art, and a
                        worthwhile one. But it's not necessary at Potlatch and Mythcon, which both
                        run about 100-150 people, and finding smaller groups to talk with is
                        easy. At the Tolkien and Lewis centenary conferences, we had over 300
                        each, and thought they were huge.

                        - David Bratman
                      • Max Rible
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                          On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 22:06, Ernest Tomlinson wrote:
                          > > ...Greg Bear...
                          >
                          > I got halfway through _Moving Mars_, then stopped. It wasn't bad; I just
                          > didn't feel like reading more. I do that too often these days, and feel
                          > guilty about it every time.

                          Urk; I wouldn't call _Moving Mars_ his better work. Try _Eon_ for
                          hard SF (and don't expect _Eternity_ to be up to the quality of
                          _Eon_), _Blood Music_ for biotech that Vernor Vinge would think
                          nifty, _Songs of Earth and Power_ (aka _The Infinity Concerto_ and
                          _The Serpent Mage_) for fantasy.

                          > > ...Michael Swanwick...
                          >
                          > Barbara Stanwyck?

                          Try _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_ or _Stations of the Tide_. Should
                          be available in a used bookstore for cheap.

                          > > ...Dan Simmons...
                          >
                          > _Endymion_ is his, right? Only sampled it in a store or something.

                          _Hyperion_ is the place to start if you want to sample that universe
                          of his-- _Endymion_ and _Rise of Endymion_ aren't as good as
                          _Hyperion_ and _Fall of Hyperion_. If you're browsing in a bookstore,
                          pick up a copy of _Prayers to Broken Stones_ and read the short story
                          "Vanni Fucci is Alive and Well and Living in Hell", particularly if
                          you've recently re-read _The Screwtape Letters_.

                          > _Cyteen_ for example is a
                          > wonderful example, and one of my favorite novels; Cherryh explains hardly
                          > anything about the technology of cloning or of "taping" the personalities of
                          > the clones; she explains enough to get the story going, gives us her cast of
                          > characters, and sets _them_ going.

                          Cherryh does a really good job of making her aliens alien; I've
                          greatly enjoyed her Chanur and Foreigner universes. And the knnn
                          can out-enigma the Vorlons and the Arisians together, with their
                          tentacles tied in knots.

                          --
                          %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
                          %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                            WendellWag@... writes:

                            > "Adrift
                            > Just off the Islets of Langerhans, Latitude Something or Other, Longitude
                            > Something Else." (I'm too tired to look up the exact numbers in the
                            > title.)
                            > He said that they were mentioned in the move _King Kong_ as being the
                            > location of Skull Island. Apparently he made up this up on the spot,
                            > because
                            > there's no such mention in the movie and, besides, the address is actually

                            > about 50 feet south of the corner of 2nd and H Street NE in Washington,
                            DC.

                            Where the Islets of Langerhans probably ARE found from time to time.

                            *** But not always the same Islets.... Hundredes of different ones each
                            day, I should think.

                            8^) Janet

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                            27:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
                            uite=A33405>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupmai
                            l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=143126745>

                            <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          • David S. Bratman
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                              At 11:59 PM 2/2/2003 , Max Rible wrote:

                              >> > ...Michael Swanwick...
                              >>

                              >Try _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_ or _Stations of the Tide_. Should
                              >be available in a used bookstore for cheap.

                              Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
                              halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
                              Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
                              trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
                              really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

                              - David Bratman
                            • Max Rible
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 08:46, David S. Bratman wrote:
                                > Some of Swanwick's short stories are clever, and he's written some
                                > halfway-decent fantasy criticism, but a few pages of _The Iron Dragon's
                                > Daughter_ sent me away determined never to return. A few people were
                                > trying to promote that as the next great genre-defining fantasy. It didn't
                                > really take that role, but if it did, count me out.

                                The only comparable book I can think of is Ian McDonald's _Desolation
                                Road_, which is a novel about the colonization of Mars done in a
                                magical-realism style.
                                --
                                %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
                                %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
                                %% After enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice." %%
                              • chris.
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                  Ernest:
                                  Ernest> Potlatch, that's local, isn't it? I mean, local to me, here
                                  Ernest> in Seattle, at least part of the time; maybe it jumps around
                                  Ernest> the West Coast. At least, I remember or think I remember it
                                  Ernest> met once at a hotel in Wallingford.

                                  Potlach is, indeed, a migratory West Coast con.
                                  [http://www.potlatch-sf.org/%5d Potlach 9 (2000) was in Seattle, as was
                                  Potlach 11 (2002). That is, according to the Potlach website they
                                  were. I've never been, having found out about it about a wk after
                                  last yr's con.

                                  Looks like Potlach is in San Francisco this yr.

                                  chris.
                                  --
                                  [ mail : wrdnrd@... ]
                                  [ news : sff.people.wrdnrd ]