Re: [mythsoc] thoughtful review / Willis / female writers

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2003
      I agree with you on _Bellwether_ -- it's my favorite of her books, but I
      was much less impressed with _To Say Nothing of the Dog_ and very impressed
      with _Doomsday Book_. Why do you like TSNotD better than DB? Is it because
      it's comic?

      I find Willis is rare in that she can write comic stories that *I* think
      are funny. I don't enjoy many things that other people think are funny,
      like Terry Pratchett, the Three Stooges, and most "comic" films of the last
      thirty years. Yet she also writes poignant and/or dramatic/serious tales
      that I find very powerful. >>

      I like her not because she's funny, because she sometimes is and sometimes
      isn't. The romantic element in TSNotD was both comic and, well, romantic.
      I like a number of things about the books, including the struggle it can be
      to keep up. Not to the point that it's unpleasant work, but it requires a
      little brainpower. She is one of those writers though, that makes me want
      to ask a wider group (perfect here) whether the female viewpoint is not
      appealing to the male reader sometimes. I think Doomsday had a definitely
      female viewpoint. We are seeing more of that lately, and I bet anything
      that it is not always palatable to the male reader. I have only read the
      two titles, however. ;-p

      I would ask this also about certain of C.S. Friedman's books, but not to
      the same degree. And she often has a male protagonist, but a different,
      uhm, a different feel? a different atmosphere ? As in _The Madness
      Season_.

      Then there are books like Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion, where
      the female protagonist is so unlike most women as to be almost
      incomprehensible (at least to me) yet it was written by a woman. Albeit a
      Marine, an unusual woman to write fantasy novels.

      Uh, did I just write myself into a total argument to go to this year's
      Mythcon? Damn.... where is that brochure? I really don't think I can...

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2003
        In a message dated 1/31/2003 1:38:53 PM Central Standard Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:

        > where is that brochure?

        plenty of info online, Lizzie:

        Mary M. Stolzenbach, co-Chair Mythcon XXXIV
        <A HREF="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon34.html">Mythcon 34</A>