Re: [mythsoc] (unknown)

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2003
      In a message dated 1/30/2003 8:54:21 AM Central Standard Time,
      fantalov@... writes:

      > The Term "barbarians" - "bearded", having the Greek origin, has
      > undergone the certain evolution in scientific and ordinary
      > consciousness. Greeks of classical epoch named so all other peoples.

      Wait a sec, Mr Fantalov. "Barba" is Latin, not Greek, for beard, and I'd
      always heard the Greeks called the barbarians "barbaroi" because their
      language was unintelligible, they just sounded like they were saying "bar bar
      bar".

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Ernest S. Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
        On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:33:43 EST, Stolzi@... said:

        > Wait a sec, Mr Fantalov. "Barba" is Latin, not Greek, for beard, and I'd
        > always heard the Greeks called the barbarians "barbaroi" because their
        > language was unintelligible, they just sounded like they were saying "bar
        > bar bar".

        For what it's worth, although I've heard the "bar bar" explanation from
        teachers, the Liddell and Scott lexicon lists the derivation of the word
        _barbaros_ as unknown. A form of the word goes back as far as Homer.
        And _barba_ is definitely a Latin, not a Greek, form.

        Ernest.
        --
        Ernest S. Tomlinson
        thiophene@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24 11:41 AM
          I accept to the extent that you apologized.

          On Apr 24, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Doug Kane wrote:

          > My apologies to Darrell and Carl to the extent that I misrepresented
          their
          > views.>>>>>>>>>>

          Hi! And what would Lewis say about accepting an apology?

          God bless, Alice
        • wendell_wagner
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2013
            Could someone say what this is?  I'm reluctant to click on it since it might be malware (since we have gotten spam on this mailing list recently).

            Wendell Wagner

          • Linda DeMars
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 24, 2013
              spam!