Those Midlands Accents

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
      The subject of the accents of the Shire was discussed here a couple months
      ago, and it was stated that a "midlands country accent" would be that used by
      Hobbits.

      The best information I could get was that such an accent was best displayed
      on the BBC's long-running radio series, THE ARCHERS. Alas, the BBC allows
      no soundclips from the show to be posted on the Web. But I did get an
      address for BBC-sold souvenirs of THE ARCHERS.

      Yesterday the little catalog arrived. Amid all the other goodies like bumper
      stickers, calendars, bathrobes and tea cosies, there is an offer for audio
      tapes. I think the best bet would be one of the "Vintage" tapes, of which
      there are three, VIN01 and VIN02 and VIN03, called, I know not why, "the Lost
      Archers."

      The price per tape is GBP 8.99. Last time I looked the pound (GBP) stood at
      1 British Pound = 1.6346 US Dollar. Of course you'd have extra for overseas
      shipping, maybe 5 pounds or so. (The brochure doesn't give overseas shipping
      rates).

      But if you want to hear voices that may sound like Hobbits...

      Telephone orders and inquiries, 0121 683 1951
      Fax orders, 0121 683 1955
      By Post,
      Archers Addicts
      PO Box 1951
      Moseley, Birmingham B13 900

      E-mail (probably not for orders) dum.di.dum@...
      Webpage http://www.archers-addicts.com

      If you go to this page http://www.archers-addicts.com/tucker.html, you can
      hear the theme song and a very VERY brief voice clip. This one also has a
      voice clip http://www.archers-addicts.com/shop.html of a less "country"
      sounding voice.

      Mary S
    • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
        In a message dated 10/29/99 10:18:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > Telephone orders and inquiries, 0121 683 1951
        > Fax orders, 0121 683 1955

        To call these numbers from the U.S.:
        011-44-121-683-1951
        011-44-121-683-1955
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
          >To call these numbers from the U.S.:
          > 011-44-121-683-1951
          > 011-44-121-683-1955

          Thanks, Wendell!

          > VIN01 and VIN02 and VIN03, called, I know not why, "the Lost
          > Archers."

          To clarify: it's VIN03 which is "The Lost Archers."

          Mary S
        • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
            writes:

            > By Post,
            > Archers Addicts
            > PO Box 1951
            > Moseley, Birmingham B13 900

            Actually, the post code is B13 9DD. (Sorry for being so picky. I looked at
            the post code and saw immediately that it wasn't even a possible one.)
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
              In a message dated 10/29/99 8:20:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              > Actually, the post code is B13 9DD. (Sorry for being so picky. I looked
              at
              > the post code and saw immediately that it wasn't even a possible one.)

              Thanks again Wendell! I KNEW I should have gotten out my magnifying glass on
              that one, and forgot to do so before i posted.

              Mary S