Re: [mythsoc] thoughtful review

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 29, 2003
      From: <jamcconney@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 3:57 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] thoughtful review

      > I think it started with "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," of which a
      > friend of mine said on leaving the theater, "If I wanted to see crises at
      the
      > dinner table, I could have stayed at home."

      Another I've never bothered to see. I didn't see it when it first came out,
      because my parents did not go to the movies or allow us kids to go either,
      and in any case my mother would never have had any truck with a movie like
      _Close Encounters_. Later I encountered Harlan Ellison's[*] scathing
      opinion of the movie ("Oh, my god, the second coming! Down comes the
      galactic chandelier and out pops the Pillsbury Dough-boy and says, 'We're
      going to save your ass!'") and the hilarious and difficult to find parody
      "Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind", and these further convinced me that the
      film wasn't worth watching.

      I've never seen _E. T._ either, although I was told to "phone home"
      countless times in school (on account of my initials, you see).

      [*] Ellison is a mega-sized pill and I've never liked any of his fiction
      that I've read--what is "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" but the literary
      equivalent of shoving the unsuspecting reader into a cesspool?--but he has a
      talent for insult. He has no talent whatever for writing for the screen
      (q.v. _The Oscar_, which comes across like _The Sweet Smell of Success_
      rewritten by someone from another planet. I have never seen a movie with
      such bizarre dialogue.)

      Ernest.
    • Ernest Tomlinson
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 31, 2003