Re: Names/Norse Mythology

  • Jerome J. Schultz II
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 28, 1999
      At 09:40 AM 10/25/99 +0200, Nagy Gergely wrote:
      >From: Nagy Gergely <lamorak@....u-szeged.hu>
      >

      >> I found (I believe it was in Humphrey Carpenter's
      >> JRRT Bio.) that the names of Gandalf and Thorin and
      >> Co. were originally names of Dwarves (Dwarfs?) in
      >> Norse myth. Also interestingly enough, Elves
      >> in Norse myth were (according to my trusty BULLFINCH'S
      >> MYTHOLOGY) lesser dieties than gods.
      >
      >Yes indeed they were. An article in the journal Edda, sometime in the late
      >80s, pointed out that all the Hobbit company of dwarves had names that
      >actually appear in Norse myth. The article, by the way, is dedicated to
      >explore the Northern influence on Tolkien, but does it in quite a
      >defective way, finding that the appearance of horses in both corpora is
      >surely a 'major parallelism'... not very professional, but interesting in
      >places. I would rather advise to read its sources, though.

      EYE recently read Myths of the Norseman - Form the Eddas and Sagas by H. A.
      Guerber (originally in 1909) ISBN 0-486-27348-2. The reason EYE read this
      work is that EYE have heard on various boards and lists that JRRT derived a
      lot of his names and ideas from Norse Mythology.

      Excerpts about Odin:

      "... was generally represented as tall, vigorous man, about fifty years of
      age, ... a long grey beard ..."
      "He was clad in a suit of grey, with a blue hood ..."
      "... generally carried the infallible spear Gungnir, ..."
      " ... but when he wandered peacefully about the earth in human guise, ...
      he generally donned a broad-brimmed hat, drawn low over his forehead ... "

      EYE am amazed at the similarity in the feel of Norse Mythology and JRRT's
      works. The above lines and phrases (a good parts version) kind of jumped
      off the page as descriptions of Gandalf. EYE think JRRT admired the depth
      of Norse Mythology and that it did impact his writing.

      Well, there you go,

      Jerry Schultz