ADMIN: YAHOO GROUP MEMBERS - BE AWARE

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2003
      Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:37:15 +0200
      Subject: YAHOO GROUP MEMBERS - BE AWARE

      To all yahoo! and Yahoogroups users - ( Especially those on Bezeq
      servers)
      This may be of interest to you.

      YOU MAY BE UNSUBSCRIBED WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE

      Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo Group
      users around the net and see what you're doing - similar to cookies.

      Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

      http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

      About half-way down the page, in the section "Outside the Yahoo!
      Network", you'll see a little "click here" link that will let you
      opt-out
      of their new method of snooping. I recommend doing this. Once
      you have clicked that link, you are opted out.

      Notice the "Success" message the top the next page. Be careful
      because
      on
      that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will
      *undo** the opt-out.

      Feel free to forward this to other groups
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2003
        Joan Marie Verba wrote:

        > Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:37:15 +0200
        > Subject: YAHOO GROUP MEMBERS - BE AWARE
        >
        > To all yahoo! and Yahoogroups users - ( Especially those on Bezeq
        > servers) This may be of interest to you.
        >
        > YOU MAY BE UNSUBSCRIBED WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE

        HUH?!?!

        I've seen the rest of this warning before . . .

        > Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo Group
        > users around the net and see what you're doing - similar to cookies.

        [etc.]

        . . . and have already opted out, but I've never heard a thing
        about being "unsubscribed." Explain, please?

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2003
          Margaret Dean wrote:

          > > YOU MAY BE UNSUBSCRIBED WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE
          >
          > HUH?!?!
          >
          > I've seen the rest of this warning before . . .

          > . . . and have already opted out, but I've never heard a thing
          > about being "unsubscribed." Explain, please?

          I'm wondering about this as well. I thought it might be explained on the
          opt-out page, but it isn't. And the originator of the warning message
          isn't identified, so I don't know who to contact to ask. If anyone else
          knows, please feel free to post.

          Joan
          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...