Re: [mythsoc] emotion v. intellect

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2003
      I agree that the books that engage my interest most are
      those in which a
      character makes me care for him or her, but it also helps if
      the writer has
      a viable plot and a readable style of writing.(Don't ask
      much, do I?)
      And it's not necessarily cliched characters that can grab
      a reader's
      sympathies. Martin has an unconventional character who by all
      rights would be labeled Ye Villain (or one of them),yet I
      can't help
      but root a bit for him. Robin Hobbs' had another non-cliched
      protagonist
      and took three books to reveal the events that formed him in
      her
      Traders series
      On the other hand, Janny Wurt's current series, which has
      two
      fine main characters, is beginning to drag for me because the
      writing is overwrought.
      And Jordan could have written his series in half the books
      if he'd
      stop repeating the same scenarios over and over again.

      darancgrissom@... wrote:
      I was wondering, with all of the talk about cookie cutter plot
      lines, hack writting and such;
      how important in regards to fantasy fiction is emotional
      impact versus intellectual engagment.