Re: Names/Norse Mythology

  • Daffyd ap Morgen
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
      At 10:58 AM 10/27/1999 -0500, you wrote:
      >From: Ted Sherman <tedsherman@...>
      >
      >The Eldar Edda translation by Taylor and Auden is available online at:
      >
      >http://www.jps.net/pdeane/fgr/
      >
      >Ted

      Actually, this website contains a link to another website, this one here:

      http://members.xoom.com/nikpage/nse/Index.htm

      This is where the translation resides. The author of the website also has
      it set up so you download the entire site and view it off-line.

      The site mentioned by Ted also has a link to "The Havamal." For those
      interested in rune-lore, this text is a good one.

      Daffyd ap Morgen
    • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
        > the Eldar Edda

        This was the earliest version, the one compiled by the Elves. <g>

        David Bratman
      • Jerome J. Schultz II
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 28, 1999
          At 09:40 AM 10/25/99 +0200, Nagy Gergely wrote:
          >From: Nagy Gergely <lamorak@....u-szeged.hu>
          >

          >> I found (I believe it was in Humphrey Carpenter's
          >> JRRT Bio.) that the names of Gandalf and Thorin and
          >> Co. were originally names of Dwarves (Dwarfs?) in
          >> Norse myth. Also interestingly enough, Elves
          >> in Norse myth were (according to my trusty BULLFINCH'S
          >> MYTHOLOGY) lesser dieties than gods.
          >
          >Yes indeed they were. An article in the journal Edda, sometime in the late
          >80s, pointed out that all the Hobbit company of dwarves had names that
          >actually appear in Norse myth. The article, by the way, is dedicated to
          >explore the Northern influence on Tolkien, but does it in quite a
          >defective way, finding that the appearance of horses in both corpora is
          >surely a 'major parallelism'... not very professional, but interesting in
          >places. I would rather advise to read its sources, though.

          EYE recently read Myths of the Norseman - Form the Eddas and Sagas by H. A.
          Guerber (originally in 1909) ISBN 0-486-27348-2. The reason EYE read this
          work is that EYE have heard on various boards and lists that JRRT derived a
          lot of his names and ideas from Norse Mythology.

          Excerpts about Odin:

          "... was generally represented as tall, vigorous man, about fifty years of
          age, ... a long grey beard ..."
          "He was clad in a suit of grey, with a blue hood ..."
          "... generally carried the infallible spear Gungnir, ..."
          " ... but when he wandered peacefully about the earth in human guise, ...
          he generally donned a broad-brimmed hat, drawn low over his forehead ... "

          EYE am amazed at the similarity in the feel of Norse Mythology and JRRT's
          works. The above lines and phrases (a good parts version) kind of jumped
          off the page as descriptions of Gandalf. EYE think JRRT admired the depth
          of Norse Mythology and that it did impact his writing.

          Well, there you go,

          Jerry Schultz