Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien in WWI

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2003
      In a message dated 1/25/2003 1:35:50 PM Central Standard Time,
      gfunk@... writes:

      > on page 80 Tolkien was “recovering from shell shock”; although on page
      > 28 she states corrctly that Tolkien suffered from trench fever.

      This is not to contradict you, as I'm not sure of the facts of Tolkien's life
      as many others are. I do think, that "shell shock" and "trench fever," while
      quite different problems, are not incompatible. Tolkien could have suffered
      from both.

      IIRC, "shell shock" was simply the World War 1 name of what in WW2 was called
      "combat fatigue" and today is called "post traumatic stress syndrome."
      Whether Tolkien actually suffered from this, I leave to those more versed in
      the details of his life.
      Anne

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2003
        Anne wrote:

        >This is not to contradict you, as I'm not sure of the facts of Tolkien's
        life
        >as many others are. I do think, that "shell shock" and "trench fever," while
        >quite different problems, are not incompatible. Tolkien could have suffered
        >from both.
        >
        >IIRC, "shell shock" was simply the World War 1 name of what in WW2 was
        called
        >"combat fatigue" and today is called "post traumatic stress syndrome."
        >Whether Tolkien actually suffered from this, I leave to those more versed in
        >the details of his life.

        There's no evidence of any form that Tolkien suffered from "shell shock",
        and his army medical records (at the Public Record Office) indicate only
        trench fever. His son Michael, however, in WWII was invalided out of the
        army with shell shock.

        Wayne Hammond