Re: Names/Norse Mythology

  • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
      Thanks, David, that explains it.
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
        The Eldar Edda translation by Taylor and Auden is available online at:

        http://www.jps.net/pdeane/fgr/

        Ted

        d.bratman@... wrote:

        > From: d.bratman@...
        >
        > Wendell --
        >
        > Oh, the dwarf names are in the Elder Edda all right, in the Voluspa
        > or "Song of the Sibyl". The problem is that some scholars consider
        > the passage to be an interpolation, and leave it out. What you need
        > is a better translation. I recommend the one by Paul B. Taylor and
        > some guy called W.H. Auden (Random House, 1969), if you can find a copy.
        >
        > The appearance of the same passage in the Younger Edda is a _quote from_
        > the Elder Edda, and it says so right there. In my translation (Jean
        > Young, 1954), the quotes are prefaced "As it says in _The Sibyl's
        > Vision_ ..." and "And the sibyl gives these as their names ..."
        >
        > David Bratman
        > - not responsible for the following advertisement -

      • Daffyd ap Morgen
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
          At 10:58 AM 10/27/1999 -0500, you wrote:
          >From: Ted Sherman <tedsherman@...>
          >
          >The Eldar Edda translation by Taylor and Auden is available online at:
          >
          >http://www.jps.net/pdeane/fgr/
          >
          >Ted

          Actually, this website contains a link to another website, this one here:

          http://members.xoom.com/nikpage/nse/Index.htm

          This is where the translation resides. The author of the website also has
          it set up so you download the entire site and view it off-line.

          The site mentioned by Ted also has a link to "The Havamal." For those
          interested in rune-lore, this text is a good one.

          Daffyd ap Morgen
        • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
            > the Eldar Edda

            This was the earliest version, the one compiled by the Elves. <g>

            David Bratman
          • Jerome J. Schultz II
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 28, 1999
              At 09:40 AM 10/25/99 +0200, Nagy Gergely wrote:
              >From: Nagy Gergely <lamorak@....u-szeged.hu>
              >

              >> I found (I believe it was in Humphrey Carpenter's
              >> JRRT Bio.) that the names of Gandalf and Thorin and
              >> Co. were originally names of Dwarves (Dwarfs?) in
              >> Norse myth. Also interestingly enough, Elves
              >> in Norse myth were (according to my trusty BULLFINCH'S
              >> MYTHOLOGY) lesser dieties than gods.
              >
              >Yes indeed they were. An article in the journal Edda, sometime in the late
              >80s, pointed out that all the Hobbit company of dwarves had names that
              >actually appear in Norse myth. The article, by the way, is dedicated to
              >explore the Northern influence on Tolkien, but does it in quite a
              >defective way, finding that the appearance of horses in both corpora is
              >surely a 'major parallelism'... not very professional, but interesting in
              >places. I would rather advise to read its sources, though.

              EYE recently read Myths of the Norseman - Form the Eddas and Sagas by H. A.
              Guerber (originally in 1909) ISBN 0-486-27348-2. The reason EYE read this
              work is that EYE have heard on various boards and lists that JRRT derived a
              lot of his names and ideas from Norse Mythology.

              Excerpts about Odin:

              "... was generally represented as tall, vigorous man, about fifty years of
              age, ... a long grey beard ..."
              "He was clad in a suit of grey, with a blue hood ..."
              "... generally carried the infallible spear Gungnir, ..."
              " ... but when he wandered peacefully about the earth in human guise, ...
              he generally donned a broad-brimmed hat, drawn low over his forehead ... "

              EYE am amazed at the similarity in the feel of Norse Mythology and JRRT's
              works. The above lines and phrases (a good parts version) kind of jumped
              off the page as descriptions of Gandalf. EYE think JRRT admired the depth
              of Norse Mythology and that it did impact his writing.

              Well, there you go,

              Jerry Schultz