Re: [mythsoc] Individuality vs. Joining a Collective - Sturgeon

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2003
      How about Theodore Sturgeon's MORE THAN HUMAN - the "gestalt" there is
      desirable, at least for the relatively small number of individuals who
      become part of it. But they do not fully lose their own identities - at
      least as I remember the story, it came out a long long time ago. >>

      So did I, but then I reread it within the last couple of years, because it
      haunted me so. The interplay of personalities remained interesting, as
      well as the things that had to be done to protect themselves (one character
      goes back to retrieve an anti-gravity device before it might be
      discovered). Then I tried to read, I think, a bio of Mr. Sturgeon, but
      didn't get very far. Apparently he had quite the charisma in person, at
      least according to the writer in question. Also the term "gestalt" stayed
      with me, insofar as a sort of whole-greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts kind
      of telepathetic union.

      I have to reread Childhood's End, as I have forgotten everything but the
      final scene with the batwinged guy and the child. Obviously there is a lot
      more than visual imagery at stake here.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia