Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien dramatizations redux

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2003
      From: "Bill" <lunacy2@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 10:19 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien dramatizations redux

      > Maybe I've been exposed to CGI FX enough now--

      --I think the word is "desensitized"--

      > to not be
      > bothered by the "arrow shot", which has been used in enough
      > tv shows and movies (and with other weapons) so that I don't
      > even recall that shot as standing out in my memory from seeing
      > the film.

      I think it looks silly wherever it's done, partly because I think it really
      was Sam Raimi, a sort of American Peter Jackson (i.e. director of film
      soaked with gore which are supposed to be amusing, like _Evil Dead II_), who
      introduced such shots, or at least popularized them. His "flying eyeball"
      shot is legendary.

      Unfortunately the post-modern era is upon us, and film directors have
      learned that one can easily conceal a weak story (_Matrix_, anyone?) with
      heavily choreographed fight scenes and shots of floating bullets.

      Ernest.