Re: [mythsoc] Fantasy names (was Tolkien and Lewis on good and evil creatures)

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2003
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: jamcconney@...
      Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:58:35 EST
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien and Lewis on good and evil creatures

      > >I can't resist giving my dragons Welsh names and vocabularies sometimes,
      > >with what little Welsh I know.

      For me, the best languages (at least to pull fantasy words out of) are
      Welsh
      and Finnish. I once ran across a lovely Finnish word 'keltainen' and used
      it
      for a country in a story I was (and still am) working on. It may be hard
      believe, but it was literally months before I did a double-take at it and
      said "Oh NO! Everybody's going to think this is one of those fakey, barely
      disguised Celtic thingies...." And the worst of it is it's now embedded
      both in the story and in my mind.
      Alas!________________________________________

      I love the word "Keltainen." I've actually encountered some great names in
      my search for good fantasy names; I have a character in one story named
      "Alier;" imagine my surprise when I came across this very name in Cretian
      de Troyes!

      Screen credits also have yeilded good results. Use the most unusual part
      of the name that strikes you, ring changes, and who knows what will come up.

      I may have a different problem than yours; one of my tales involves a
      people who kill evil creatures, nullify evil magic, and the like. They are
      called "vaidrynn." It's pronounced VY-drinn. I worry that it sounds like
      a drug. "The guy's dead. Took a huge hit of vaidrynn."

      If I have it pronounced VAY drin, well guess who it's going to sound like?
      The big dark guy who breathes heavy and carries a light-saber! I like the
      VY---because IIRC, in Latin "vai" = "woe." Which is what these characters
      are supposed to bring to their targets. (Although in Latin, it might be
      pronounced WY!) ---djb

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Ernest S. Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2003
        On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:17:58 -0500, "dianejoy@..."
        <dianejoy@...> said:

        > --because IIRC, in Latin "vai" = "woe."

        I think the spelling is _vae_, which is "woe!" as an interjection, and
        yup, it'd be pronounced "wy" :]

        Ernest.
        --
        Ernest S. Tomlinson
        thiophene@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2003
          MY favorite fantasy name comes from the Peter David "Apropos of Nothing" books. Sir Umbridge of the Flaming Nether Regions. Not only does it sound funny, but it lends itself so well to dialouge. "You need help....oh well, take Umbridge." The obviousness of it makes it less atrocious than Turtledove, or Brooks. If you think they're bad, read a D&D novel sometime, the whole Welsh language is ripped off for the Elven tounge in those.

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
            I think the spelling is _vae_, which is "woe!" as an interjection, and
            yup, it'd be pronounced "wy" :]

            Yes, it is spelled "vae." My mistake. ---djb
            --
            Ernest S. Tomlinson
            thiophene@...

            http://mail2web.com/ .