Balrogs, then and now.

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2003
      In a message dated 1/23/03 7:23:05 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      >Both the Balrogs and Sauron were Morgoth's servants. Sauron
      >was never in league with the Balrogs that we know of.

      I found it interesting how in the very early written version of the Tale of
      the Fall of Gondolin, (Lost Tales Vol. II, as I recall) Balrogs were
      conceived of as being fairly numerous, and some of the great Elven Lords, and
      Tuor, slew several of them each in single combat, (which certainly gives a
      sense of how potent the elves were in their prime, with the energy of the
      blessed lands still strong within them) whereas in a much later note Tolkien
      mentioned that there were at most only four or five Balrogs. I wondered if
      this discrepancy could be imaginatively resolved by there being lessor and
      greater classes of Balrogs.
      And who can forget Feanor fighting a whole squad of Balrogs, lead by the
      Balrog Captain/Prince Gothmog, albeit mortally wounded in the process?
      (Did I get those details more or less right?)

      in awe,
      John Potts
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2003
        Who knows? Maybe the Balrogs fought among themselves and killed each other
        off. ---djb

        http://mail2web.com/ .