Re: [mythsoc] Scenes of Questionable Necessity / Parenting

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2003
      Taking a line from my experiences, I think your daughter is quite safe. My
      parents allowed me to look at anything in the house including the 'adult'
      books. Usually I would find them boring before I even got to the sexy
      stuff, but the sex scenes were just 'yuck!!' to me. A perfectly healthy
      reaction for someone who didn't understand any of it anyway. >>

      OTOH there is me, who found the racy books hidden in my mom's nighttable
      and read them several times, ditto for adult mags somewhere. (I don't just
      mean romances, but stuff by "Anonymous" as well.) Sometimes I wonder
      whether that premature exposure accounts for my continuing taste for that
      stuff. When you think of the marketing and story possibilities for
      various Tantric or shamanic carnal encounters, well, it is only a matter of
      time before the stuff is out there, if it is not already. I didn't accept
      censorship of my reading when I was younger, and I resist the idea in
      general, but kids are maturing earlier, and do we really need 9-year-olds
      reading, well, MIckey Spillane meets the Marquis de Sade? Or whatever.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia