Names/Norse Mythology

  • Nagy Gergely
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 1999
      > I found (I believe it was in Humphrey Carpenter's
      > JRRT Bio.) that the names of Gandalf and Thorin and
      > Co. were originally names of Dwarves (Dwarfs?) in
      > Norse myth. Also interestingly enough, Elves
      > in Norse myth were (according to my trusty BULLFINCH'S
      > MYTHOLOGY) lesser dieties than gods.

      Yes indeed they were. An article in the journal Edda, sometime in the late
      80s, pointed out that all the Hobbit company of dwarves had names that
      actually appear in Norse myth. The article, by the way, is dedicated to
      explore the Northern influence on Tolkien, but does it in quite a
      defective way, finding that the appearance of horses in both corpora is
      surely a 'major parallelism'... not very professional, but interesting in
      places. I would rather advise to read its sources, though.

      Gergely Nagy
      Jozsef Attila University,
      Szeged, Hungary
    • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 26, 1999
        I just discovered something strange. I was going to tell people where to
        find the passage in the Eddas where the names of the dwarves and of Gandalf
        comes from. Two books about Tolkien that I just checked say that it's in the
        Voluspa (sometimes spelled "Volospa") section of the Elder Eddas. But then I
        looked in my copy of the Elder Eddas and I can't find any mention of the
        dwarves in the Voluspa. On the other hand, I looked in my copy of the
        Younger Eddas and found the passage in the Gylfaginning section there (about
        ten pages from the beginning in my paperback copy).

        (Note for those unacquainted with Norse mythology: There are two version of
        the Eddas, the Elder or Poetic Edda, written in the 9th to 12th centuries,
        and the Younger or Prose Edda, written in the 13th century. The Eddas are
        Icelandic texts that are our main source of information about Norse
        mythology.)

        Are there any experts on the Eddas that can explain this discrepancy to me?
      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 26, 1999
          Wendell,

          I believe the names for the Hobbit dwarves also occur in the Havamal,
          sometimes subtitled "Sayings of the Wise One." The Prose Edda, which has
          the section "Gylfaginning"--which means the deluding of Gylfi--that you
          refer to, was written in the late (I believe) 13th century by Snorri
          Sturluson; that Edda is a piece of literary criticism and "how to"
          manual. The Eldar Edda, also called the Poetic Edda, though written
          generally in the late 12th century, are texts/poems that probably were
          first composed (orally, of course) much earlier, somewhere in the late
          9th to early 13th centuries. I don't have the Prose Edda here at home,
          so I can't really answer your specific question as to why the
          Gylfaginning has the names and not the Poetic Edda. If I remember
          correctly, however, the Gylfaginning is thought to be a rather old work,
          probably late 10th to early 12th centuries.

          Yours,

          Ted

          PS: Would all people who submitted papers to Mythlore please contact me
          via email? I had a harddisk failure and lost all my email addresses, so
          I need you to contact me so I can contact you. Thanks. No, I did not
          lose the papers; I had those backed up and hard copies. Also, anyone who
          has submitted papers to Mythlore within the past two to three years is
          encouraged to resubmit those papers directly to me. I am especially
          interested in hearing from those of you who presented papers at the 97
          and 98 Mythcons.

          Ted Sherman
          6545 Dynasty Drive
          Murfreesboro, TN 37128
        • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 26, 1999
            Wendell --

            Oh, the dwarf names are in the Elder Edda all right, in the Voluspa
            or "Song of the Sibyl". The problem is that some scholars consider
            the passage to be an interpolation, and leave it out. What you need
            is a better translation. I recommend the one by Paul B. Taylor and
            some guy called W.H. Auden (Random House, 1969), if you can find a copy.

            The appearance of the same passage in the Younger Edda is a _quote from_
            the Elder Edda, and it says so right there. In my translation (Jean
            Young, 1954), the quotes are prefaced "As it says in _The Sibyl's
            Vision_ ..." and "And the sibyl gives these as their names ..."

            David Bratman
          • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
              Thanks, David, that explains it.
            • Ted Sherman
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
                The Eldar Edda translation by Taylor and Auden is available online at:

                http://www.jps.net/pdeane/fgr/

                Ted

                d.bratman@... wrote:

                > From: d.bratman@...
                >
                > Wendell --
                >
                > Oh, the dwarf names are in the Elder Edda all right, in the Voluspa
                > or "Song of the Sibyl". The problem is that some scholars consider
                > the passage to be an interpolation, and leave it out. What you need
                > is a better translation. I recommend the one by Paul B. Taylor and
                > some guy called W.H. Auden (Random House, 1969), if you can find a copy.
                >
                > The appearance of the same passage in the Younger Edda is a _quote from_
                > the Elder Edda, and it says so right there. In my translation (Jean
                > Young, 1954), the quotes are prefaced "As it says in _The Sibyl's
                > Vision_ ..." and "And the sibyl gives these as their names ..."
                >
                > David Bratman
                > - not responsible for the following advertisement -

              • Daffyd ap Morgen
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
                  At 10:58 AM 10/27/1999 -0500, you wrote:
                  >From: Ted Sherman <tedsherman@...>
                  >
                  >The Eldar Edda translation by Taylor and Auden is available online at:
                  >
                  >http://www.jps.net/pdeane/fgr/
                  >
                  >Ted

                  Actually, this website contains a link to another website, this one here:

                  http://members.xoom.com/nikpage/nse/Index.htm

                  This is where the translation resides. The author of the website also has
                  it set up so you download the entire site and view it off-line.

                  The site mentioned by Ted also has a link to "The Havamal." For those
                  interested in rune-lore, this text is a good one.

                  Daffyd ap Morgen
                • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
                    > the Eldar Edda

                    This was the earliest version, the one compiled by the Elves. <g>

                    David Bratman
                  • Jerome J. Schultz II
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 28, 1999
                      At 09:40 AM 10/25/99 +0200, Nagy Gergely wrote:
                      >From: Nagy Gergely <lamorak@....u-szeged.hu>
                      >

                      >> I found (I believe it was in Humphrey Carpenter's
                      >> JRRT Bio.) that the names of Gandalf and Thorin and
                      >> Co. were originally names of Dwarves (Dwarfs?) in
                      >> Norse myth. Also interestingly enough, Elves
                      >> in Norse myth were (according to my trusty BULLFINCH'S
                      >> MYTHOLOGY) lesser dieties than gods.
                      >
                      >Yes indeed they were. An article in the journal Edda, sometime in the late
                      >80s, pointed out that all the Hobbit company of dwarves had names that
                      >actually appear in Norse myth. The article, by the way, is dedicated to
                      >explore the Northern influence on Tolkien, but does it in quite a
                      >defective way, finding that the appearance of horses in both corpora is
                      >surely a 'major parallelism'... not very professional, but interesting in
                      >places. I would rather advise to read its sources, though.

                      EYE recently read Myths of the Norseman - Form the Eddas and Sagas by H. A.
                      Guerber (originally in 1909) ISBN 0-486-27348-2. The reason EYE read this
                      work is that EYE have heard on various boards and lists that JRRT derived a
                      lot of his names and ideas from Norse Mythology.

                      Excerpts about Odin:

                      "... was generally represented as tall, vigorous man, about fifty years of
                      age, ... a long grey beard ..."
                      "He was clad in a suit of grey, with a blue hood ..."
                      "... generally carried the infallible spear Gungnir, ..."
                      " ... but when he wandered peacefully about the earth in human guise, ...
                      he generally donned a broad-brimmed hat, drawn low over his forehead ... "

                      EYE am amazed at the similarity in the feel of Norse Mythology and JRRT's
                      works. The above lines and phrases (a good parts version) kind of jumped
                      off the page as descriptions of Gandalf. EYE think JRRT admired the depth
                      of Norse Mythology and that it did impact his writing.

                      Well, there you go,

                      Jerry Schultz