Paper call of possible interest

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2003
      Subject: CFP: Victorian Medievalism (3/1/03; collection)

      Call For Papers for a collection of essays titled

      Beyond Arthurian Romances and Gothic Thrillers: The Reach of Victorian
      Medievalism

      The Medieval Period, glorified as an example of a stable, nobler time,
      became a cultural touchstone for the Victorians. Writers, painters,
      architects, and social commentators were among those who looked to the
      period for examples of leadership, vocation, social structure, and faith.
      However, despite a pervasive, diverse interest in medievalism at all
      levels of Victorian society, recent studies of Victorian medievalism tend to
      focus on the Arthurian legend or on the Gothic revival. We are looking for
      essays that address this "other" Victorian medievalism in the following areas:

      1. New Visions/Versions of Traditional Topics
      2. The Medieval Framework for Female Vocation
      3. Community Development: Housing, Commerce, and/or Social Services
      4. The Role of the Artist
      5. Religious Controversy and Models for Faith
      6. Realizations of Loss and Mourning
      7. Victorian Popular Culture: Medievalism and the Mass Market

      please send 300-500 word abstracts by March 1 to me at
      lhollow@...
      or
      Lorretta M. Holloway
      English Department