Re: Tolkien reference

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 1999
      David,

      Some ramblings inspired by the article reg:
      Celestine Prophecy... hope I'm not too
      confusing... and this is not directed at you...
      I'm just rambling... ;)

      I'm not sure that I understand which
      'hypothetical possibility' you are cringing over,
      but I am assuming you mean the bit about Tolkien
      teaching 'Frodo seminars,' etc...

      As I read the article, I was thinking, "What does
      this have to do with Tolkien??" And then, I got
      to the part about Tolkien! ;) It made me laugh!
      And then I thought, "Who says Tolkien /didn't/
      believe in 'elves' and 'evil wizards'??

      Tolkien's 'evil wizards' and 'good wizards' were
      some of the Maiar. The Maiar were "...of the
      same order as the Valar but of less degree."
      (From Valaquenta, The Silmarillion.) The Valar
      were like 'angels.' Two of these Maiar were
      Gandalf and Saruman, also known as the Istari, or
      The Wizards.

      The author assumes that Tolkien did NOT believe
      in 'elves' or 'evil wizards.' I don't know that
      I agree with that. Tolkien was a Christian.
      Christians do believe in angels. The difference
      is, Tolkien got his beliefs from the Bible, he
      didn't just make them up to sell a book. ;)
      Also, he didn't have to give seminars, because
      they are already held all over the world every
      Sunday Morning. ;)

      BTW, as a student of theology, I have read the
      Celestine Prophecy. I won't make any comments on
      that! ;)

      God bless!
      Scott :)

      http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcelestine.html

      > Warning: even as a hypothetical possibility
      > this is one to cringe over.
      >
      > David Bratman
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2002
        Tolkien reference in the editorial cartoons alert:

        http://www.sfgate.com/comics/fiore/

        Animated, requires Flash and sound, and will probably be replaced by
        another cartoon tomorrow.

        - David Bratman