Tolkien reference

  • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 1999
      http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcelestine.html

      Warning: even as a hypothetical possibility this is one to cringe over.

      David Bratman
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 1999
        David,

        Some ramblings inspired by the article reg:
        Celestine Prophecy... hope I'm not too
        confusing... and this is not directed at you...
        I'm just rambling... ;)

        I'm not sure that I understand which
        'hypothetical possibility' you are cringing over,
        but I am assuming you mean the bit about Tolkien
        teaching 'Frodo seminars,' etc...

        As I read the article, I was thinking, "What does
        this have to do with Tolkien??" And then, I got
        to the part about Tolkien! ;) It made me laugh!
        And then I thought, "Who says Tolkien /didn't/
        believe in 'elves' and 'evil wizards'??

        Tolkien's 'evil wizards' and 'good wizards' were
        some of the Maiar. The Maiar were "...of the
        same order as the Valar but of less degree."
        (From Valaquenta, The Silmarillion.) The Valar
        were like 'angels.' Two of these Maiar were
        Gandalf and Saruman, also known as the Istari, or
        The Wizards.

        The author assumes that Tolkien did NOT believe
        in 'elves' or 'evil wizards.' I don't know that
        I agree with that. Tolkien was a Christian.
        Christians do believe in angels. The difference
        is, Tolkien got his beliefs from the Bible, he
        didn't just make them up to sell a book. ;)
        Also, he didn't have to give seminars, because
        they are already held all over the world every
        Sunday Morning. ;)

        BTW, as a student of theology, I have read the
        Celestine Prophecy. I won't make any comments on
        that! ;)

        God bless!
        Scott :)

        --- d.bratman@... wrote:
        > From: d.bratman@...

        http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcelestine.html

        > Warning: even as a hypothetical possibility
        > this is one to cringe over.
        >
        > David Bratman
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2002
          Tolkien reference in the editorial cartoons alert:

          http://www.sfgate.com/comics/fiore/

          Animated, requires Flash and sound, and will probably be replaced by
          another cartoon tomorrow.

          - David Bratman