Re: [mythsoc] Movie writing, was: Stonehenge & Lucas

  • Ernest S. Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2003
      On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:20:12 EST, jamcconney@... said:

      > I think one out of three is a remarkable record. Remember Kipling's Law
      > ("four fifths of everything is bad. You have to do it to get the other
      > fifth.") I know Sturgeon said something similar, but I'm a classicist;
      > Kipling got there first.

      Kipling said it better.

      I guess that the thirty-three-and-a-third percent success ratio for
      "Enterprise" depends on your definition of "passable". I thought one
      episode was passable simply because Dean Stockwell was in it; this might
      not be enough for some people.

      The biggest problem with "Enterprise" is that, even though its crew are
      supposed to be train professionals, they often act like complete idiots,
      especially when dealing with aliens. One episode's plot was set in
      motion because Captain Archer took his dog with him on a diplomatic
      mission, whence it micturated on a plant, offending the aliens deeply.
      Commander "Trip" Tucker (who, as one correspondent acidly pointed out to
      me, is like our _de facto_ President also a smirking Texan) seems to run
      afoul of alien mores every other episode.

      Ernest.
      --
      Ernest S. Tomlinson
      thiophene@...