RE: Kurtz/Deryni

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2003
      "Croft, Janet B" wrote:

      > At one time I collected and read all the Deryni novels, but for me, they
      > don't stand up to rereading and may not make the cut the next time I have to
      > move my library. LeGuin uses an example from one of them in her "From
      > Elfland to Poughkeepsie" essay that's been mentioned here recently, and
      > she's absolutely right;

      Kurtz's first three Deryni books were not very good. I read them and my
      first impression was that "Katherine Kurtz" had to be the pen name of a
      man, because the women were all airheads.

      However, since then she's become much better, and I have enjoyed her
      later novels.

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2003
        I enjoyed the first three books more than some of
        the later books,
        although I did think Charissa could have benefited greatly
        from reading
        that list of no-nos for villains. In the Camber trilogy, I
        found myself
        skimming some of the four or five page ritual scenes after
        the first few
        I read.
        But taken as a whole, still one of my favorite
        series. I still have the
        original editions of the first trilogy that KK autgraphed
        for me at a
        Darkovercon many years ago.

        Joan Marie Verba wrote:
        Kurtz's first three Deryni books were not very good. I read
        them and
        my first impression was that "Katherine Kurtz" had to be the
        pen name of a
        man, because the women were all airheads.
        However, since then she's become much better, and I have
        enjoyed her
        later novels.

      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2003
          At 08:07 AM 1/17/2003 , Joan wrote:

          >Kurtz's first three Deryni books were not very good. I read them and my
          >first impression was that "Katherine Kurtz" had to be the pen name of a
          >man, because the women were all airheads.
          >
          >However, since then she's become much better, and I have enjoyed her
          >later novels.

          One of the first articles I ever published, when I was running an official
          Mythopoeic fanzine in the late 70s, was a piece seriously criticizing
          _Camber of Culdi_, the fourth Deryni book. The article was written by a
          woman who'd liked the earlier books.

          Like Diana Paxson, Kurtz works best for me with contemporary or
          near-contemporary settings.

          - David Bratman