Re: Digest Number 139

  • William C. Pierce
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 1999
      > Message: 3
      > Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 06:38:18 -0400
      > From: Cat Eldridge <cat@...>
      > Subject: Mythopoeic
      >
      > Can someone give me a definition of mythopoeic?

      Cat: Sometime ago I lead a discussion group at a local bookstore, and
      was asked the same question. At the time I tried to personalize my
      feelings around what I thought "mythopoeic" was. But, I was embarassed,
      since I felt like it wasn't what the person needed. However, I was
      then lucky enought to find a copy of Humphrey Carpenter's book THE
      INKLINGS, CSLewis, JRRT, Charles Wms and their friends (my abbrevs)
      published by Houghton Mifflin Co. in 1979. Carpenter recounts how
      mythopoeia grew out of the relationships the inklings had to each other
      and their faiths. After reading this and other books I have come to
      share what was reportedly Tolkien's feelings on the matter. Carpenter
      writes that JRRT felt mythopoeia represented the relationship our
      "imaginative intentions "has with God (page 43 The Inklings). That story
      tellers are actually "sub-creators" and reflect "something of the true
      light" Not only does this imply there are truisms to myths (Joe
      Campbell and Jung would probably not disagree) but everything else we
      imagine has a piece of this spiritual connection. I believe this concept
      goes back to ancient Greece and Plato. But, I am not well read in the
      classics.
      Now a question. What sort of Mythopoeia does Steven King represent/
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 1999
        William C. Pierce wrote:

        > From: "William C. Pierce" <wpierce@...>
        > > Subject: Mythopoeic

        > Now a question. What sort of Mythopoeia does Steven King represent?

        Horror, as a subset of fantasy, creates a world where we yearn for
        normality to be restored and root for those who attempt to restore it;
        it is the flip side of comedy, and operates the same way. Horror can be
        a part of the Christian sensibility, and I think King shows this in
        books like *The Stand* and *Needful Things.* I don't know for a fact
        that King IS Christian, but he operates under the rubric. Dean Koontz
        does the same thing in nearly everything he does. ---djb.