Re: Mythopoeic

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 1999
      Maria Bouzani [mari_bou@...] wrote:
      > Well,the thing is to keep an open mind,I
      > guess!Hey,does Charles DeLint count?He doesn't exactly
      > deal with myth in most of his work,rather "urban
      > fantasy",but he's really great!

      Somewhere to Be Flying was on the short list for the Adult MFA this year and
      Trader <shudder> was on the long list in 98.

      I think de Lint is definitely mythical. He just uses the apparatus of the
      modern city to create his myth. Of course, his writing is really quite
      variable, so the jury's still out (as far as I'm concerned) as to whether he
      'counts' in relation to him being what Lisa was calling 'a gem'.

      "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while even
      reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling the
      comfort of their serene presence."
      --Fred Buechner
      Currently reading: Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg
    • Maria Bouzani
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 1999
        --- Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...> wrote:

        > Mythopoeic is Greek for myth making. Which is all
        > Greek to me <g> Now that I've
        > gotten that out of my system...

        Hey,what do you have against Greek,huh?It's not that
        hard...Of cource,I would be prejudiced,me being Greek
        and all...!:))

        > What it means as far as we are concerned is that
        > Glen was trying to find
        > something that meant more than crass, commerical
        > sword & sworcery type Fantasy
        > (a lot of which was around in the late 1960's when
        > the group was formed).
        > Something that evoked Tolkien, but could include
        > others, like Lewis & Williams &
        > Dunsany & Kurtz (Catherine) & Beagle. See there was
        > already a Tolkien Society,
        > so if that was all you wanted to discuss, join them.

        Actually,there are many of them...Too many to decide
        which to join...I've joined 3-4 so far!

        > But many of us wanted to
        > read more and different types of fantasy, both old
        > and new. But we wanted it to
        > be the good stuff, not necessarily exactly like
        > Tolkien, but something that had
        > the special quality, that "Myth Making" feel to it.

        Ah,yes!The Myth...Isn't that what we're all looking
        for?

        > Yes, we've read a lot of junk looking for the gems,
        > and one member's reject is
        > another member's gem, but it keeps the meetings
        > lively!

        Well,the thing is to keep an open mind,I
        guess!Hey,does Charles DeLint count?He doesn't exactly
        deal with myth in most of his work,rather "urban
        fantasy",but he's really great!
        Maria

        =====
        "...When dreams don't become their people
        People become their dreams..."
        LOVE AND MONEY,"Hallelujia Man"