Re: Digest Number 21

  • Joe Christopher
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 1999
      > Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:40:45 -0800
      > From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
      >Subject: Re: Digest Number 19
      >
      >Joe Christopher wrote:
      >>
      >> From: Joe Christopher <jchristopher@...>
      >>
      >> Is anyone reading Sharon McCrumb's "ballad series" of (sold-as) mysteries?
      >> (They probably should be called her Appalachian series.) I just finished
      >> reading I think the fourth of them: _The Rosewood Casket_ (1996). It has
      >> the ghost of a child, a woman with second sight, and--oddest of all--a woman
      >> with a guardian angel who gives her moral advice in sometimes vulgar
      >> language. Typical of McCrumb's complexity, the latter woman starts out as
      >> something of a joke (in the presentation) and develops into one of the saner
      >> characters. I found the book very enjoyable.
      >>
      >> --Joe
      >>
      >Haven't read any of Sharon McCrumb, but she sure sounds interesting.
      >--djb.

      She's best known in SF circles for her version of a fan convention, _Bimbos
      of the Death Star_--the title (inside her novel) is of a SF novel by one
      character (and authorial attendee of the convention), his novel being a hard
      SF novel given a sensational title by the publisher. (The person murdered
      in that mystery is another author--a combination of John Norman and Harlan
      Ellison, I judge.) She followed that novel up with another in the series
      about the SF author and his lover. Her main series for her financial
      support is another, which I've seen her refer to as "Jane Austen with
      attitude" (but I think they could be called humorous cozies equally
      well)--mysteries, modern in setting, with Elizabeth MacPherson as
      protagonist. I gather from the comments about her that the "Ballad Series"
      (above) are her serious work--although in the Jay Omega series (_Bimbos_ and
      _Zombies of the Gene Pool_), the second--badly mistitled by the
      publisher--is far more serious than the first. I've read only four of her
      books: _Bimbos_, _Zombies_, _Missing Susan_ (in the MacPherson series), and
      _The Rosewood Casket_. _The Rosewood Casket_ can hardly be called a
      mystery, although there are two people shot late in the book, one of them
      being killed. And it is the Ballad Series I will follow up on. I'll try to
      give a list of that series' titles one of these days here.

      --Joe

    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 1999
        Joe Christopher wrote:

        > From: Joe Christopher <jchristopher@...>
        >
        > > Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:40:45 -0800
        > > From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
        > >Subject: Re: Digest Number 19
        > >
        > >Joe Christopher wrote:
        > >>
        > >> From: Joe Christopher <jchristopher@...>
        > >>
        > >> Is anyone reading Sharon McCrumb's "ballad series" of (sold-as) mysteries?
        > >> (They probably should be called her Appalachian series.) I just finished
        > >> reading I think the fourth of them: _The Rosewood Casket_ (1996). It has
        > >> the ghost of a child, a woman with second sight, and--oddest of all--a woman
        > >> with a guardian angel who gives her moral advice in sometimes vulgar
        > >> language. Typical of McCrumb's complexity, the latter woman starts out as
        > >> something of a joke (in the presentation) and develops into one of the saner
        > >> characters. I found the book very enjoyable.
        > >>
        > >> --Joe
        > >>
        > >Haven't read any of Sharon McCrumb, but she sure sounds interesting.
        > >--djb.
        >
        > She's best known in SF circles for her version of a fan convention, _Bimbos
        > of the Death Star_--the title (inside her novel) is of a SF novel by one
        > character (and authorial attendee of the convention), his novel being a hard
        > SF novel given a sensational title by the publisher. (The person murdered
        > in that mystery is another author--a combination of John Norman and Harlan
        > Ellison, I judge.) She followed that novel up with another in the series
        > about the SF author and his lover. Her main series for her financial
        > support is another, which I've seen her refer to as "Jane Austen with
        > attitude" (but I think they could be called humorous cozies equally
        > well)--mysteries, modern in setting, with Elizabeth MacPherson as
        > protagonist. I gather from the comments about her that the "Ballad Series"
        > (above) are her serious work--although in the Jay Omega series (_Bimbos_ and
        > _Zombies of the Gene Pool_), the second--badly mistitled by the
        > publisher--is far more serious than the first. I've read only four of her
        > books: _Bimbos_, _Zombies_, _Missing Susan_ (in the MacPherson series), and
        > _The Rosewood Casket_. _The Rosewood Casket_ can hardly be called a
        > mystery, although there are two people shot late in the book, one of them
        > being killed. And it is the Ballad Series I will follow up on. I'll try to
        > give a list of that series' titles one of these days here.
        >
        > --Joe

        Thanks for the listings. ---djb.