Nashville gets Wrinkled

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 1999
      A Wrinkle in Time

      Oct. 11-23 at Nashville Children's Theatre 724 Second Ave. S.

      For information, call 254-9103

      By Angela Wibking

      The current television season to the contrary, today's teens are not all
      gorgeous, self-confident beings whose biggest problems arise from romancing
      other picture-perfect kids. Most teens and preteens, like countless
      generations before them, feel uncertain of themselves and are struggling to
      figure out who they are and where they fit in. At the terrifying far end of
      that struggle is the kind of alienation that breeds school violence. More
      common, though, is a feeling of being different--and being a little
      misunderstood and undervalued because of that difference.

      If the mass media don't get it, at least authors of books for young adult
      readers have long understood that being different is good. The bland and the
      beautiful are rarely the heroes in these books; instead, the individual is
      celebrated for the qualities that set him or her apart from the crowd of
      Gap-shopping clones.

      Meg Murry, the gawky, brainy heroine of Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in
      Time, certainly wouldn't be caught dead in a Gap vest--if they'd had Gap
      vests in the early 1960s, when the book burst upon the literary scene and
      captured the imaginations of young readers around the world. Over the last
      four decades, Meg and her travels through time and space have continued to
      entrance each new generation of readers--as well as their parents and
      grandparents, many of whom revisit Wrinkle as adult readers.

      "I think I read the book when I was maybe 11 years old," recalls Scot
      Copeland, director of Nashville Children's Theatre's stage version of the
      novel. "And I've read it several times since. It's one of those books that
      stands on its own, whatever age you are. What I really love about it is that
      the characters are all geeks--and that's a good thing. It makes it
      extraordinarily topical now."

      "I felt a strong affinity for Meg when I read the book growing up," agrees
      Mark Cabus, the Nashville actor/writer who adapted the novel for the NCT
      production. "I identified with that awkward ugly duckling feeling of being
      excluded--even though you knew you were smart and special. That's why I love
      that the oddball underdog is victorious in the book. But more importantly, I
      like that it says we all have the potential inside to be heroes."

      -- complete review at

      http://www.nashscene.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?browser=netscape&request=This_Week:Theater

      Mary S