Re: Mythopoeic

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 1999
      Cat Eldridge wrote:

      > From: Cat Eldridge <cat@...>
      >
      > Can someone give me a definition of mythopoeic?

      Mythopoeic is Greek for myth making. Which is all Greek to me <g> Now that I've
      gotten that out of my system...

      What it means as far as we are concerned is that Glen was trying to find
      something that meant more than crass, commerical sword & sworcery type Fantasy
      (a lot of which was around in the late 1960's when the group was formed).
      Something that evoked Tolkien, but could include others, like Lewis & Williams &
      Dunsany & Kurtz (Catherine) & Beagle. See there was already a Tolkien Society,
      so if that was all you wanted to discuss, join them. But many of us wanted to
      read more and different types of fantasy, both old and new. But we wanted it to
      be the good stuff, not necessarily exactly like Tolkien, but something that had
      the special quality, that "Myth Making" feel to it.

      Yes, we've read a lot of junk looking for the gems, and one member's reject is
      another member's gem, but it keeps the meetings lively!

      And that's what the reviews in Mythprint are all about, to help us find the good
      stuff. And just making the list for a Mythopoeic Award is enough to warrant
      checking a book out (but see the warning above about differences of opinions).
      If it won, buy it, you'll probably like it, there are enough voices on the award
      committee to weed on the uneven books.

      Happy reading!
      Mythically yours,

      Lisa
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 1999
        Maria Bouzani [mari_bou@...] wrote:
        > Well,the thing is to keep an open mind,I
        > guess!Hey,does Charles DeLint count?He doesn't exactly
        > deal with myth in most of his work,rather "urban
        > fantasy",but he's really great!

        Somewhere to Be Flying was on the short list for the Adult MFA this year and
        Trader <shudder> was on the long list in 98.

        I think de Lint is definitely mythical. He just uses the apparatus of the
        modern city to create his myth. Of course, his writing is really quite
        variable, so the jury's still out (as far as I'm concerned) as to whether he
        'counts' in relation to him being what Lisa was calling 'a gem'.

        "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while even
        reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling the
        comfort of their serene presence."
        --Fred Buechner
        Currently reading: Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg
      • Maria Bouzani
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 1999
          --- Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...> wrote:

          > Mythopoeic is Greek for myth making. Which is all
          > Greek to me <g> Now that I've
          > gotten that out of my system...

          Hey,what do you have against Greek,huh?It's not that
          hard...Of cource,I would be prejudiced,me being Greek
          and all...!:))

          > What it means as far as we are concerned is that
          > Glen was trying to find
          > something that meant more than crass, commerical
          > sword & sworcery type Fantasy
          > (a lot of which was around in the late 1960's when
          > the group was formed).
          > Something that evoked Tolkien, but could include
          > others, like Lewis & Williams &
          > Dunsany & Kurtz (Catherine) & Beagle. See there was
          > already a Tolkien Society,
          > so if that was all you wanted to discuss, join them.

          Actually,there are many of them...Too many to decide
          which to join...I've joined 3-4 so far!

          > But many of us wanted to
          > read more and different types of fantasy, both old
          > and new. But we wanted it to
          > be the good stuff, not necessarily exactly like
          > Tolkien, but something that had
          > the special quality, that "Myth Making" feel to it.

          Ah,yes!The Myth...Isn't that what we're all looking
          for?

          > Yes, we've read a lot of junk looking for the gems,
          > and one member's reject is
          > another member's gem, but it keeps the meetings
          > lively!

          Well,the thing is to keep an open mind,I
          guess!Hey,does Charles DeLint count?He doesn't exactly
          deal with myth in most of his work,rather "urban
          fantasy",but he's really great!
          Maria

          =====
          "...When dreams don't become their people
          People become their dreams..."
          LOVE AND MONEY,"Hallelujia Man"