Re: Hogwarts/Nesbit

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 1999
      Mary wrote:

      >On another topic: Today my friend Grace showed me an old volume of "JUNIOR
      >CLASSICS," pub. in 1912. The book included four tales from Shakespeare, and
      >a copyright notice stated that they were "retold by E. Nesbit" and copyright
      >1907 by a firm in Chicago, IL. (Most of the rest of the material was
      public
      >domain.)
      >
      >Naturally I am wondering if this is our old friend, children's writer and
      >fantasist E. Nesbit -- I strongly suspect so. (I'm still hoping that a
      >perfectly dire poem about fairies' little feet or some such, discovered last
      >year in an old anthology, =wasn't= hers, but I know she had to do a lot of
      >pot-boiling.) I did not know she had done any Tales from Shakespeare.

      Yes, it's the same E. Nesbit. I've had her _Children's Shakespeare_ for
      many years. There's still a Nesbit Shakespeare in print, _The Best of
      Shakespeare_, from Oxford University Press; however, whereas my 1950s copy
      has twelve tales, and includes _Cymbeline_, _A Midsummer Night's Dream_,
      _Pericles_, and _The Taming of the Shrew_, the current version has only ten
      tales, omits the four I've just mentioned, and substitutes _Othello_ and
      _Macbeth_. I suspect that these were first published separately, in
      periodicals. The book _The Children's Shakespeare_ was first published in
      1897.

      Wayne Hammond