Hogwarts/Nesbit

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 1999
      In a message dated 10/4/99 1:37:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
      lisa@... writes:

      > Or better yet, at the opening
      > night party at about 10 to 11 when everyone has already sampled the beer
      <g>.

      Lis' , I don't even have to be on the booze to act silly at a Mythcon -
      suspect =you= don't, either <g>

      On another topic: Today my friend Grace showed me an old volume of "JUNIOR
      CLASSICS," pub. in 1912. The book included four tales from Shakespeare, and
      a copyright notice stated that they were "retold by E. Nesbit" and copyright
      1907 by a firm in Chicago, IL. (Most of the rest of the material was public
      domain.)

      Naturally I am wondering if this is our old friend, children's writer and
      fantasist E. Nesbit -- I strongly suspect so. (I'm still hoping that a
      perfectly dire poem about fairies' little feet or some such, discovered last
      year in an old anthology, =wasn't= hers, but I know she had to do a lot of
      pot-boiling.) I did not know she had done any Tales from Shakespeare.

      Mary S
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 1999
        Mary wrote:

        >On another topic: Today my friend Grace showed me an old volume of "JUNIOR
        >CLASSICS," pub. in 1912. The book included four tales from Shakespeare, and
        >a copyright notice stated that they were "retold by E. Nesbit" and copyright
        >1907 by a firm in Chicago, IL. (Most of the rest of the material was
        public
        >domain.)
        >
        >Naturally I am wondering if this is our old friend, children's writer and
        >fantasist E. Nesbit -- I strongly suspect so. (I'm still hoping that a
        >perfectly dire poem about fairies' little feet or some such, discovered last
        >year in an old anthology, =wasn't= hers, but I know she had to do a lot of
        >pot-boiling.) I did not know she had done any Tales from Shakespeare.

        Yes, it's the same E. Nesbit. I've had her _Children's Shakespeare_ for
        many years. There's still a Nesbit Shakespeare in print, _The Best of
        Shakespeare_, from Oxford University Press; however, whereas my 1950s copy
        has twelve tales, and includes _Cymbeline_, _A Midsummer Night's Dream_,
        _Pericles_, and _The Taming of the Shrew_, the current version has only ten
        tales, omits the four I've just mentioned, and substitutes _Othello_ and
        _Macbeth_. I suspect that these were first published separately, in
        periodicals. The book _The Children's Shakespeare_ was first published in
        1897.

        Wayne Hammond