Re: Digest Number 19

  • Joe Christopher
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 1999
      Is anyone reading Sharon McCrumb's "ballad series" of (sold-as) mysteries?
      (They probably should be called her Appalachian series.) I just finished
      reading I think the fourth of them: _The Rosewood Casket_ (1996). It has
      the ghost of a child, a woman with second sight, and--oddest of all--a woman
      with a guardian angel who gives her moral advice in sometimes vulgar
      language. Typical of McCrumb's complexity, the latter woman starts out as
      something of a joke (in the presentation) and develops into one of the saner
      characters. I found the book very enjoyable.

      --Joe
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 1999
        Joe Christopher wrote:

        > From: Joe Christopher <jchristopher@...>
        >
        > Is anyone reading Sharon McCrumb's "ballad series" of (sold-as) mysteries?
        > (They probably should be called her Appalachian series.) I just finished
        > reading I think the fourth of them: _The Rosewood Casket_ (1996). It has
        > the ghost of a child, a woman with second sight, and--oddest of all--a woman
        > with a guardian angel who gives her moral advice in sometimes vulgar
        > language. Typical of McCrumb's complexity, the latter woman starts out as
        > something of a joke (in the presentation) and develops into one of the saner
        > characters. I found the book very enjoyable.
        >
        > --Joe

        Haven't read any of Sharon McCrumb, but she sure sounds interesting.
        --djb.