Re: [mythsoc] "prequel"

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 7, 2003
      In a message dated 1/6/2003 2:12:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

      > Tolkien didn't invent "prequel", but he encountered the word in August
      > 1967, in an unpublished letter to him from Donald Fry (editor of _The
      > Beowulf Poet_), where it refers to _The Silmarillion_.

      1967 would be the earliest use of the word that I know of. That clearly
      pushes back the origin of the word, since all the dictionaries that mention
      it say that it originated in the '70's. Fry may have invented the word, or
      it may be that was already being used in conversations with his friends.