RE: [mythsoc] Film Time

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2003
      Sparkdog, you really need to read the books! I think you will get more of a
      sense of "the war happening on numerous fronts" if you do so, and especially
      if you read the appendixes and find out about a few things which were going
      on but didn't make it into Tolkien's main text. If you can't stand anything
      else, at least read the chronology in Appendix B to find out the bare facts
      of what was happening when and where.

      The Huorns, trees that were almost Ent-like, were sent to Helm's Deep with a
      few Ents to herd them. The bulk of the Ents were at Isengard. These battles
      were taking place at almost the same time. While I am not a big fan of the
      movies, I found many of the visuals in the battle of Isengard effective --
      though showing the battle at this point, rather than in a flashback later as
      Merry and Pippin narrate it to Theoden and company when they come to
      Isengard, reduces the suspense.

      Janet Croft