Elf Magic

  • stephen@stephen.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2003
      I don't think it's reasonable to presume the elves would need a substantial
      industrial base to make use of very sophisticated technology. After all,
      they live in a made world and have knowledge given to them by the makers.
      Who knows what they could accomplish with that knowledge and the materials at
      hand.

      In the real world, Maya blue pigment, Damascus Steel and folded Japanese
      swords are all examples of molecular engeneering by craftsmen without
      knowledge of modern chemical theory or the industrial base we might presume
      would be needed to carry out molecular enegeneering. In each case the
      sophisticated molecular properties were achieved by stumbling on ways to make
      use of materials available in the world. There's no reason to think the
      elves could do the same, but much more so.

      On the other hand, I think it's a real stretch to explain the powers of the
      three elven rings as either divine or technological. Perhaps Celebrimbor
      found a way to 'pervert' the devices of the enemy (that is, magic) to good?

      - Stephen