Re: On "LOTR: The Two Towers"; "improvement"?

  • David J Finnamore
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2003
      Ernest S. Tomlinson wrote:

      > Tolkien's genius in _The
      > Lord of the Rings_ was to tell the story from the hobbits' perspective.

      [snip]

      > Jackson's method is to attempt to give us that broad picture right from
      > the start. Because of time constraints, he doesn't do too good a job,
      > but more importantly, he straightaway reduces the hobbits to secondary
      > players in their own story, and dissipates much of the suspense--we know
      > exactly why Gandalf is missing, for example, and we know exactly who the
      > Black Riders are.

      Thank you for putting your finger right on something that had been bothering me just
      beyond the reach of my tongue for months.

      > I watched the
      > first half of the extended cut of _The Fellowship of the Ring_ last
      > night, and I giggled (silently, for I had company) when Sauron appears on
      > Battle Plain and sends his obviously computer-generated foes flying with
      > every swing of his weapon.

      It makes me want to cry out, "It's the finger! Go for the finger!" Yeah,
      trivialized. That's the word. Thank you Earnest and David B.

      --
      David J. Finnamore
      Nashville, TN, USA