Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1096

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2003
      David,
      The digest was too long for Evolution to quote even to where your post
      was.

      I do not disagree with you. In fact I have read both The Inklings and
      Carpenter's Tolkien biography and it has been some years and my memory
      had conflated them.

      You are also closer to the Standard Historical Opinion on Arthur than I
      was being, not thinking nearly as poorly of Morris as the Profession
      does. I feel that Morris clearly distinguished between what was
      historical/archaeological in his book, and what was his own (educated)
      speculation. That excuses him to my way of thinking.

      Any road.

      As to whomever referred to the oliphant. I believe Tolkien had in mind
      the Mastodon. Mammoths weren't particularly huge. Especially those on
      Wrangel Island which survived through the time of the Pharaohs.

      The oliphaunts in the film are something else with the multiple sets of
      tusks. There -were- pachyderms similar to that in prehistory, though I
      don't think identical.