PKD

  • spark654@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > <darancgrissom@...>
      > Subject: A better movie than a book
      >
      > Upon reflection, and a chance viewing of "Minority Report," I would like
      > to submit that most Phillip K. Dick novels (Minority Report, Blade Runner)
      > make better movies than books. Esspecially when interpreted in a broad
      > sense. Minority Report was far to bleak in short story novella format, but
      > Spielberg gave it a real affirming feel.

      But that's a complete change from the intent and feel of the original story.
      Nice chases and interesting photography and production design, but an
      inaccurate adaptation. (And a stupid one--they don't change the locks when
      one of their people is on the run, making it easy for him to walk in and
      kidnap one of the society's most valuable people? Bouncing eyeballs? A
      murder predicted that ISN'T a murder? The whole idea that if the perpetrator
      knows he will commit murder he can stop before the murder happens--why isn't
      this shared with the almost-killers, who can then get psychiatric help or
      something instead of imprisonment? The whole feel-good ending, which the
      last half hour twists and turns to accomodate.)

      The Blade Runner book had some very stuff about electric sheep which was some

      > odd metaphor about keeping up with the jones'. When expergated in the movie
      > it helped the pace imensely.

      And jettisoned most of the theme along with it. The "electric sheep" were
      metaphors for the difference between a real human and a "replicant" human.
      PK Dick was inspired to write the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"
      after reading a Nazi's diary entry, in which he complained that the cries of
      starving children in the Polish ghettos kept the Nazis awake at night. Dick
      thought, "How can a human being write something like that, complaining that a
      child dying of neglect was keeping him awake?"

      I really enjoy Blade Runner, but it only touched on these ideas. The entire
      production was a radical departure from the book. In the movie, LA was
      empty; in the film crowded-- a major change, because the book's setting
      emphasized that the city was emptying out, and people like Dekkard's wife
      (excised from the film) watched television personalities (major elements in
      the book, non-existent in the film) to escape the loneliness.

      The changes were enormous in Blade Runner, but one person who didn't seem
      completely put off by them was Dick, who was not part of the production (and
      was irked to read director Ridley Scott talking about how he intentionally
      didn't read the book because he didn't want to be influenced ((!))). Dick
      saw a collection of scenes, narrated by Scott who sat behind him, and was
      very impressed with the look of the film.

      Dick's individual flavor does not really come through in the finished
      product, though. The one scene in a Dick adaptation (another greatly flawed
      one) that comes close to Dick's "feel" is the scne in Total Recall, where the
      doctor offers Quaid a pill--if he takes it, he will ocme out of the "dream"
      he has been living in...a dream he and we, the viewers, thought was reality.

      > So there is at least one author whos books I like better when made into
      > movies

      Sparkdog

    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2003
        "because the book's setting
        emphasized that the city was emptying out, and people like Dekkard's wife
        (excised from the film) watched television personalities (major elements in
        the book, non-existent in the film) to escape the loneliness."

        This seemed to me to be better handled by Ray Bradburry in "Farheniet 451" which preceeded Blade Runner.

        "after reading a Nazi's diary entry, in which he complained that the cries of
        starving children in the Polish ghettos kept the Nazis awake at night"

        This I did not know, and it adds a meaning that never occured to me before

        " In the movie, LA was
        empty; in the film crowded-- a major change, because the book's setting
        emphasized that the city was emptying out"

        I thought the crowded effect of L.A. in the movie evoked more a sense of fear in the populace. Like the last survivors of a great disaster (for that is what had happend) huddled together before the end.

        "A
        murder predicted that ISN'T a murder? The whole idea that if the perpetrator
        knows he will commit murder he can stop before the murder happens--why isn't
        this shared with the almost-killers, who can then get psychiatric help or
        something instead of imprisonment?"

        I thought this was a good commentary on predestination, and that you could change your future but that no one else can.

        "The whole feel-good ending, which the
        last half hour twists and turns to accomodate."

        Therein lies my problem with P.K.D., I have liked the ending of his stories, they are all so bleak. When one reads his collected works you can't help but get the impression that the whole world is doomed and there isn't one thing the individual can do but go down swinging. I believe all three of the movies changed the ending so that it was more "feel good."

        The main reason I said I liked the books of P.K.D. as movies is because they are changed so much. Adaption means to change in order to survive in a changing environment.