Tolkien horrifies GUARDIAN, NYTs reviewers

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
      "Good is plagued by doubt. The whole book is intended to illuminate the
      nature and dangers of that doubt, whether it's the question of whether or not
      the men of Gondor and Rohan have the wi ll and moral clarity to fight or
      whether Frodo has the will and strength to resist the ring of power. "

      It's as simple as that, Jonah Goldberg says, dismissing the efforts to put
      down on the story as racist or war-supporting, or whatever.

      <A HREF="http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg010303.asp">Jonah Goldberg's Goldberg File on National Review Online</A>

    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > "Good is plagued by doubt. The whole book is intended to illuminate the
        > nature and dangers of that doubt, whether it's the question of whether or not
        > the men of Gondor and Rohan have the wi ll and moral clarity to fight or
        > whether Frodo has the will and strength to resist the ring of power. "
        >
        > It's as simple as that, Jonah Goldberg says, dismissing the efforts to put
        > down on the story as racist or war-supporting, or whatever.
        >
        > <A HREF="http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg010303.asp">Jonah Goldberg's Goldberg File on National Review Online</A>

        Thanks for this. I also noted the review referred to within the review:

        http://www.claremont.org/writings/precepts/20021227hayward.html

        Joan Marie Verba
        verba001@...