Re: [mythsoc] Re: Movie Interloper

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
      At 03:29 PM 1/2/2003 , jtg wrote:
      >On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 23:31:12 -0800 David S Bratman
      ><dbratman@s...> wrote in part:
      >
      >>They believe it, but they're wrong. This is not a matter
      >>that can be laid down to opinion: they're wrong.
      >
      >So, Dave, you disagree with Tom Shippey, then, in his review of a
      >sort?

      Not really, no. Shippey spends most of his article discussing differences,
      and concludes that "the message survives the change of medium." By message
      he means the necessity of courage; and "survive" does suggest that it gets
      through against all odds.

      What I said was wrong was the statement that the films are "true to the
      books, in form and in spirit." That's a mighty broad statement, and I've
      read what the filmmakers have actually said, in detail. They believe they
      accomplished something a lot truer to Tolkien than letting a basic broad
      message survive the transition. That's what they're wrong about.

      >If LOTR is that specific--that is specific enough to be able to make
      >these judgments without question--I wonder how it can succeed in
      >being such evocative myth?

      I don't see how the evocative quality of LOTR - that is, its ability to
      make you think of other things - is at all limited by the simple question
      of whether a film translation is true to the book.

      - David Bratman