(Overly) Broad Summaries

  • spark654@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > But isn't this reducing a text to a single theme in a way that is, well,
      > reminiscent of freshman-comp? 'What is the Bible about?' 'The Bible is
      > about
      > the consequences of eating bad fruit.'
      >
      > The 'anti-industrialism' theme is definitely there in LOTR, but that is not
      > what the book is 'about' in any uni-modal sense. There's so much more to
      > it. I
      > highly recommend you read the book, sparkdog, if for no other reason than
      > you
      > would be able to form your own opinion about the book. But who knows? You
      > may
      > just like it. <g>
      >
      > --
      > Matthew Winslow mwinslow@... http://x-real.firinn.org/

      You're absolutely right on all points. But I do think you can reduce most
      books to certain admittedly broad summaries. Saying The Bible is a book
      detailing how God wants one to live (if you believe in the Bible) is
      appropriate.

      I'm sure I will like the books; I'm intentionally not reading them for as
      long as I can hold out purely as a personal experiment.

      Sparkdog