Re: [mythsoc] Public response

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
      spark654@... [spark654@...] wrote:
      > In a message dated 12/31/02 10:16:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >
      > > > the existence of a movie in no way affects the books already
      > > > out there.
      > >
      > > But it DOES affect =the response of the public= to the books already out
      > > there.
      >
      > I don't see this. Again, "The book was better than the movie" is a modern
      > cliche.

      I'm coming out of lurking to ask sparkdog to articulate for us in a bit more
      depth what he means by 'the existence of a movie /in no way/ [emphasis mine,
      of course] affects the books already out there.' So far, I've seen the
      assertion, the denial of the assertion (with an example of how the movie does
      affect the book) which would seem to deflate sparkdog's original thesis, and
      then a denial of the denial, but again without any actual defense -- just
      assertion.

      Sparkdog, please elucidate what you mean by 'the existence of a movie in no
      way affects the books already out there.' By itself, that statement is so
      large in its scope as to be almost meaningless.

      Thanks.

      "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the topic of cheese."
      --GK Chesterton
      Currently reading: J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century