Re: [mythsoc] Possible Spoilers About end of ROTK movie

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
      David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
      > >The fact that the scouring of the Shire is left out entirely makes me shudder.
      > >How do we rightly get Frodo to the Grey Havens without the scouring?
      >
      > You just fade from the victory celebration to the (previously established
      > fact) that the Elves are sailing away, and the extend their hands and take
      > Bilbo and Frodo with them. Of course you miss most of Tolkien's point that
      > way, but it isn't narratively incoherent. Missing Tolkien's point while
      > being narratively coherent is a Jackson specialty.

      Yeah, that's what I meant by 'rightly get' -- it's possible narratively, but
      that's reducing the whole scouring to an issue of the narrative alone. And, as
      sparkdog pointed out, the scouring can be a bit of a let-down as far as
      plotting goes, but it's so essential as far as telling the story properly
      goes. Frodo at Mithlond is, I'm afraid, going to be quite shallow, not to
      mention the growth that is finally realized in the other hobbits upon their
      return to the Shire.

      But, as always, you put it quite well, David.

      "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds;
      and the pessimist fears this is true."
      --James Branch Cabell
      Currently reading: J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century by Tom Shippey