Re: [mythsoc] Plot Changes in RotK

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
      In a message dated 1/1/2003 6:30:35 PM Central Standard Time,
      adamseb@... writes:

      > by Sam jumping
      > up from where Gollum had knocked him down and knocking Gollum over
      > the edge like a football linebacker.

      You wanna tell us how Sam so neatly plays linebacker to an invisible man, er,
      ex-hobbit, er, being?

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
        In a message dated 1/2/2003 9:59:50 AM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > > by Sam jumping
        > > up from where Gollum had knocked him down and knocking Gollum over
        > > the edge like a football linebacker.
        > >

        > You wanna tell us how Sam so neatly plays linebacker to an invisible man,
        > er,
        > ex-hobbit, er, being?

        This is, actually, one of the endings Tolkien thought about before he wrote
        the real one. See END OF THE THIRD AGE.

        Susan

      • disneylogic <disneylogic@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          Message: 15
          On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 00:29:33 -0000, Blake Adams [adamseb@...]
          writes:

          > Given that there have been certain plot changes between the books
          >and the movies so far, does anyone want to make any
          >guesses/predictions as to what plot changes Peter Jackson will make
          >in his RotK film?

          My kids and I were talking about that just yesterday. A point my
          older son made, which is very true and will put a lot of pressure on
          Jackson, is that there's an AWFUL lot of stuff that has to be covered
          in RotK, many more events and scenes, a royal wedding, battles and
          such, _especially_ if Shelob is being moved into its beginning.
          Jackson and Wood have recently commented RotK is likely to be longer,
          perhaps by as much as a half hour or more, but, still, the
          abbreviated time with the Ents in TTT may seem leisurely in
          comparison.

          Jackson could lose the extended time on the group in Mordor and
          things like Sam and Frodo slipping into the bunch of orcs marching
          along, but there's a lot that seems to have to stay. I hope, for
          instance, he doesn't cut Frodo's capture and Sam's temporarily
          holding the Ring: There's a lot to be said in the scenes which bears
          on the depth of their relationship and, indeed, the quality of
          friendship when Sam rescues him.

          There may be opporunities for brevity at Minas Tirith. Perhaps
          Faramir is being shown as more 'corrupt' because we're going to lose
          the madness of Denethor, but, then, would such a Faramir relinquish
          throne to Elessar?

          We have to have Éowyn dispatch the head Nazgûl, true?

          I don't remember the number of battles, but there are at least four
          of them, no?

          > I'll start by including my own prediction: At the Crack of Doom,
          >after Gollum rests the Ring from Frodo's finger and is dancing around
          >in joy, he falls off the edge *not* by "accident" but by Sam jumping
          >up from where Gollum had knocked him down and knocking Gollum over
          >the edge like a football linebacker.

          Oh, that would be horrible. I fully expect to be a boor and boo if
          that is how it turns out. But I don't see how.

          Frodo has to capitulate to the Ring, and it seems to me he has to
          lose a finger. And it is critical, I think, that Gollum be the one
          to dispatch the Ring rather than Sam, because the compassion theme
          which Jackson is developing in TTT would be lost, and that's a key
          point of the book.

          --jtg

          [snip]
        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
            Stolzi@... [Stolzi@...] wrote:
            > You wanna tell us how Sam so neatly plays linebacker to an invisible man, er,
            > ex-hobbit, er, being?

            Likewise, how does Gollum know where to bite?

            "No one who has once taken the language under his care can ever again be
            really happy."
            --Thomas Lounsbury
            Currently reading: J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century by Tom Shippey